Med supp Plan F question

Winter_123

Guru
5000 Post Club
Under what scenarios, if any, would a person pay a copay or some additional dollars or whatever for a doctors visit if he has Plan F. Heard someone say that he had Plan F but still had to shell out for doctors office visits. I suppose if he got into some procedure at the office that was not covered by medicare it could happen or if the doc was bilking him beyond what medicare allows. Assuming that he has his story straight, what else could be happening?

Winter

Under what scenarios, if any, would a person pay a copay or some additional dollars or whatever for a doctors visit if he has Plan F. Heard someone say that he had Plan F but still had to shell out for doctors office visits. I suppose if he got into some procedure at the office that was not covered by medicare it could happen or if the doc was bilking him beyond what medicare allows. Assuming that he has his story straight, what else could be happening?

Winter
Those are the only two scenarios I could think of. Most likely it's the second choice above that is happening.

Rick

The only way someone would have to pay anything with a Plan F is if it was declined by Medicare.

Unless the doctor is collecting twice or telling her patients that the test, etc is not covered by Medicare. If the doctor does not turn the claim in to Medicare then they collect more money.

It use to be fairly common for the doctor to require payment before the patient left her office. A claim is filed with Medicare and after Medicare and the insurance company pay the doctor just seems to "forget" to reimburse the patient.

I have also caught a doctor who was billing patients for tests that she said were not covered by Medicare. The doctor makes around four times as much by not turning it in to Medicare.

What??? Doctors aren't perfect? Doctors as scam artists? It just can't possibly be!!!

I'll never forget many years ago (maybe 10), a doctor in San Francisco cut off the wrong foot of a patient. It was the same day the stock market took a BIG dump. I still have no doubt in my mind that the doctor was self-managing his stock portfolio.

The only way someone would have to pay anything with a Plan F is if it was declined by Medicare.
If a doctor performs a service which is then declined by Medicare, who is responsible for the payment?

Is it not the doctor's responsibility to make certain that all procedures are approved by Medicare?

Rick

If a doctor performs a service which is then declined by Medicare, who is responsible for the payment?

Is it not the doctor's responsibility to make certain that all procedures are approved by Medicare?

Rick

If the test, etc is not covered by Medicare then it is the patient's responsibility.

However, if the service is not covered by Medicare the doctor is suppose to have the patient sign a form stating that the service is not covered letting the patient know that the responsibility of payment will be the patient's.

I tell every client to ask the doctor if the service is covered by Medicare before agreeing to have it done. I let them know they should read everything they sign. If they don't do that there is nothing I can do to help them get payment.

Rick

IT is the doctors responsibility to have the patient sign a form saying the patient will pay for services not covered by medicare. I belive doc's do know what is and what is not covered. If the patient signs the form and medicare doesn't cover then the patient has to pay.

Back