Med Supp Refund or no?

vic120

Guru
5000 Post Club
OH
I have a client that signed up with me last year but then delayed his retirement and effective date 1 month, then decided to keep working and kept his employer cov till this coming June, He was supposed to cancel cov and He Called me to resign for June 1st effective.

The app gets rejected because he already has the plan, (He never canceled) apparently he got so caught up in canceling part B which took several months that he forgot to cancel the medsupp. (don't ask me how someone doesnt know $100 monthly charge is coming out of account).

Anyway insurance company is not willing to give refund on premiums paid, Which I don't understand as I know I had one that never cancelled MA plan for a year and got refunded on the same ground as the cov could not work without both A and B, But now the ins company is saying it does not matter. not sure what is different

I would think if you could prove to the med supp carrier that he had employer coverage and there were no claims filed, he could get a refund.

Without proof, I think the carrier would keep it because anyone could claim they had coverage and get a refund for "unused" premiums.

When was his Part B cancelled?

Jan 1st was when it finally was canceled after original effective of june 1st

It was a june 1st moved to july 1st but then it took till jan 1st to complete the cancellation of part B due to the fact that they kept saying that they are not received the cancelation notice by mail after 4 try's he went personally to SS office to deliver

I would think if you could prove to the med supp carrier that he had employer coverage and there were no claims filed, he could get a refund.

Without proof, I think the carrier would keep it because anyone could claim they had coverage and get a refund for "unused" premiums.

That we offered but not accepting said he agreed to charges and he didn't call to cancel and because of this they say they are not entitled to refund

I would like to help him as he and his wife are some of the nicest people I have dealt with, But I don't know that there is anything that can be done.

Maybe they refunded the MA person because it was MA maybe dif rules

What Company did you write him with? Also do you have a direct contract with them or could you get your FMO to contact them?

I could try and get FMO involved might be an option, I believe its best not to mention company names in open discussion like this

I have had this situation before some times it does take a while to get the money back. One carrier after a client switched to a MAPD, client didn't cancel till March was finally refunded in October.

The Client I spoke with yesterday If I cant get the refund he won't be too upset but just trying to see if I can help, Ill talk to upline on this too, My contact is on vaca right now will be back next week

Back