Med Supps in MA? Any Agents Here?

Bevo

Guru
100+ Post Club
Wondering if any agents who write Med Supp business in MA can give me any pointers...

* Best companies to write?
* Any snags being a non-res agent?
* GI State?

Thanks for any help!

Wondering if any agents who write Med Supp business in MA can give me any pointers...

* Best companies to write?
* Any snags being a non-res agent?
* GI State?

Thanks for any help!

As far as the national companies you could write there, it would be UHC and Humana. They do have more regional companies there like Harvard Pilgram, BCBS of MA, Tufts, and Fallon Health.

Mass has their own type of med supps. You've got the Core and then Med Supp 1. I forget right off the top of my head what the difference between the two are, but it's easy enough to look up.

If you already use UHC and/or Humana, i would just stick with them instead of trying to figure out how to get appointed with the others. JMO

As far as the national companies you could write there, it would be UHC and Humana. They do have more regional companies there like Harvard Pilgram, BCBS of MA, Tufts, and Fallon Health.

Mass has their own type of med supps. You've got the Core and then Med Supp 1. I forget right off the top of my head what the difference between the two are, but it's easy enough to look up.

If you already use UHC and/or Humana, i would just stick with them instead of trying to figure out how to get appointed with the others. JMO

Thanks Todd, sticking to those two was my plan but I saw the other carriers and wondered if it was worth it to go after them. I think for Tufts you might need to be a resident broker.

Thanks Todd, sticking to those two was my plan but I saw the other carriers and wondered if it was worth it to go after them. I think for Tufts you might need to be a resident broker.

As a resident broker, here's the low down ;)

MA is a GI state. We only have 2 options for Med Supps - Supplement 1 (Our Plan F) and Core (Plan G-lite. Think Plan G that doesn't cover the Part A deductible).

BC/BSMA and Tufts don't work with independent brokers. They have name recognition and don't want to pay anyone commissions. It keeps their prices lower than anyone else.

HPHC and Fallon work with brokers. I think Fallon is easier to work with, but they mostly have name recognition in Western Mass, so it can be hard to get people in the Boston area to warm to them. You can try to sell them, but the only thing you have going for you is being a personal rep instead of a call center like the big two.

Humana and UHC are overpriced, but UHC offers some vision discounts and Humana Healthy Living gives vision and dental discounts.

Medicare Advantage plans are a better way to go if you're going to be a non-resident producer. If you want to contract for the Med Supps and do marketing, I would be willing to do the personal connection for a percentage...

MA is a GI state. We only have 2 options for Med Supps - Supplement 1 (Our Plan F) and Core (Plan G-lite. Think Plan G that doesn't cover the Part A deductible).

BC/BSMA and Tufts don't work with independent brokers. They have name recognition and don't want to pay anyone commissions. It keeps their prices lower than anyone else.

HPHC and Fallon work with brokers. I think Fallon is easier to work with, but they mostly have name recognition in Western Mass, so it can be hard to get people in the Boston area to warm to them. You can try to sell them, but the only thing you have going for you is being a personal rep instead of a call center like the big two.

Humana and UHC are overpriced, but UHC offers some vision discounts and Humana Healthy Living gives vision and dental discounts.

Medicare Advantage plans are a better way to go if you're going to be a non-resident producer. If you want to contract for the Med Supps and do marketing, I would be willing to do the personal connection for a percentage...

Thanks much for the insight, this helps a great deal and I'll consider your offer.

Better for the agent, but not necessarily better for the client. Shouldn't he be selling what is best for the client no matter whether it's a med supp or MA Plan?

Better for the agent, but not necessarily better for the client. Shouldn't he be selling what is best for the client no matter whether it's a med supp or MA Plan?

Yes, but you can choose your mailers to target MA as opposed to Med Supp. That is what I was referring to.

Yes, but you can choose your mailers to target MA as opposed to Med Supp. That is what I was referring to.

We're good strictly for Med Supps only. I get a ton of MA leads to my sites which are Med Supp only and found by Med supp keywords only.

Thanks for the help!

We're good strictly for Med Supps only. I get a ton of MA leads to my sites which are Med Supp only and found by Med supp keywords only.

Thanks for the help!

...And this is the biggest problem I face in my state...you have a lot of Medicare Advantage leads to your sites, or a lot of Massachusetts leads to your sites? If you're getting leads for Supps in MA, go for it...but if they're shopping around, they're probably going to land on BC/BS or Tufts eventually.

...And this is the biggest problem I face in my state...you have a lot of Medicare Advantage leads to your sites, or a lot of Massachusetts leads to your sites? If you're getting leads for Supps in MA, go for it...but if they're shopping around, they're probably going to land on BC/BS or Tufts eventually.

Alright I see where we have acronym overload here...my fault.

I get a ton of Massachusetts Med Supp Leads (MA for Mass, not Med Advantage). Fortunately this isn't something I have to have, but I have an agent who grew up there with many contacts who are T65. Combined with the leads I get I figured there was some revenue to capture there. I can see based on research and backed up by you that much like other New England states it's not the most desirable to do Med Supp business in.

Thanks again

Back