Medi -Share and Others Are Baffling

Looks like they have about 150,000 members. Not exceptionally large. Certainly would not compare them to an insurance carrier where even the smallest carriers have over 500,000 members and REINSURANCE.

Don't know if Captive will return or not, but started looking at the MS website for details ............... which are surprisingly (or maybe not so surprising) sparse. At least Christian Health Ministries puts a benefit summary on their site.

Is there a per illness (or accident) maximum? Annual maximum? Lifetime maximum? Is Rx a covered claim?

Their Senior Assist program is not impressive. Ages 65 - 70 pay $70/month for a maximum $1250 benefit.

Bob, the per incident maximum is determined by the plan level you select. I'm on the Gold plan (with the Brother's Keeper option) so it is unlimited (no annual or lifetime maximum).

I understand the CHM metal plan benefits. My questions were about Medi-Share since they apparently don't want to reveal anything on the website.

Right now, I have a prospect who can't afford $500/month for health insurance, looking to avoid the penalty by buing a Christian sharing plan. I am looking into the +/- of these plans. I am concerned about the financial risk to the member.

Insurance companies are under state mandated rules for cash reserves in ratio to their actuarial claims exposure. Then, if outlier events happen, they also have reinsurance to pay catastrophic level claims.

If someone gets a superbug infection that goes septic, which is happening in large, mostly unreported numbers these days, their many days in intensive care in balance between living and dying could run into multi 7 figure bills. I am aware of a specific example.

One way these plans would take care of that is they all have an upper limit, like major medical health plans used to do. Some, $250,000, some $1 million, as mentioned before.

Even when cherry picking for the healthy, in the long run, at least some Christian member cost sharing plans will have catastrophic claims that could wipe out their collected premiums.

I agree we are covering much more now with ACA that ever before without a more aggressive cost control program in place. It has been stated that drug prices have risen astronomically because there is unlimited coverage in all ACA plans. Older plans had, say, in one I know of, a $10,000 separate annual limit on drugs. Just one example.

It just seems unlikely, without some very strict underwriting, or even cancellations for claims history, that the ministry plans can all be viable long term.

Obviously, the no guarantee at the top end is the greatest concern.

Are there super high deductible health insurance plans to cover catastrophic incidences?? Like $50,000-$250,000?

Are there super high deductible health insurance plans to cover catastrophic incidences?? Like $50,000-$250,000?

Not any more. Outlawed by Obamacrap.

In the past I sold $10k deductible (BX), $15k (Assurant), $25k (World).

Those plans went the way of butch wax.

Not any more. Outlawed by Obamacrap. In the past I sold $10k deductible (BX), $15k (Assurant), $25k (World). Those plans went the way of butch wax.

Man, I was hoping there was something I could get to cover super catastrophic...

I was hoping there was something I could get to cover super catastrophic...

You, and others.

Given the pricing (before it was outlawed) the $15,000 deductible (and sometimes the $10k) was the best buy.

Go lower and the price climbs. Go higher than $15k and you don't get much of a premium break for the additional risk.

If you go back about 40 yrs or so, Union Mutual had an individual plan with a $50k deductible then 100% to $1M or maybe it was $2.

Pretty sure Kemper had a high ded 100% plan about the same time as well.

The World plan was a decent seller. Assurant wasn't bad but they were never competitive in GA.

So what's the lowest premium high deductible plan in IN? Family of 3? Obviously no subsidies.

So what's the lowest premium high deductible plan in IN?

Ask the folks at hc.gov. I have no idea. Have been in a time warp back to 1968 and I am not licensed in IN. Most carriers have stopped paying commission on U65 health insurance so you may find it impossible to get information from an agent.

Welcome to our world bro.

And this is why I left the health insurance biz 2 yrs ago.

Back