Medicaid assisted MediGap premium help

I believe the answer would be never ever. Find out what level of Medicaid. If they are QMB, there should be no cost sharing for the Medicare beneficiary.

Yea- I was just confused about a question on the Cigna MediGap application. It is a question related to Medicaid "spend down". It asks: "will Medicaid pay your premiums for this Medicare Suppmement policy"? I don't know why Medicaid would ever continue to pay the premium - the individual would just drop the MediGap and go on Medicaid.

Yeah, doesn't make sense to me. People on Medicaid can even suspend their Medigap. Take that for what it's worth.

So if they suspend it-,does that mean Medicaid is still paying for it until the individual decides to go back on it?

In OK when a person goes into the nursing home and goes on Medicaid they allow the person to keep their supplement . OK DHS doesn't take the whole check, allows for the supplement to continue to be paid.
Only instance I know of.

I'm probably going to be sorry I said this because I can't speak specifics, but I have seen Medicaid pay for someone's Med Supp before. This was some years ago before the introduction of MA Plans though. Only seen the one case and I've forgotten what the circumstances were.

I guess I can see it if the person is expected not to stay on Medicaid - since they may not qualify for the Med Supp again- but other than that - a waste of state money - but what's a few more dollars added to the national debt-

Back