Medicaid eligibility if income varies every month?

stormmoon

I heard that medicaid determines income month to month, but I'm really confused on what happens if a person earns a different income each month. Let's say the person lives in a state that expanded medicaid.
Let's say that for the past 2 years (2017 and 2018) the person only earned 10k each year from their business (and there's no other income). So, they had a pretty low income for those two years. Now, let's say in 2019 they start getting paid more as a contractor, BUT... they only get paid a lump sum every few months. So, say, in January they'll get paid 5k. Then, they will call medicaid and medicaid will say that their coverage ends in 30 days. BUT, in February and march they will earn about 1k each month. So, they'll just call back in February before their coverage ends, and say they only earned 1k. So their coverage continues. BUT, they will earn 5k every 3 months. So, quarterly, they are paid a lot more than monthly. Since medicaid determines income month to month, will this person qualify for medicaid for the whole 2019 year if they are paid like this?
Now, of course, once they file their 2019 return and show a higher income, medicaid will look at the average income, and will probably determine them to be ineligible, I would think? Right? But for the first year that they start making more money, they can still receive medicaid because their previous 2 years tax returns show little?

If income based on whole year is 20k, then put that down on ACA app, and client will be on ACA for good vs being in the medicaid black hole / gray area / between the income lines / unknown coverage dates / back and forth gov't bear-a-cracy / rationed care. They didn't build the law for real folks and real life scenarios, only those that fit in a nice little box.

Back