Medical Enrollment

J.R.

Guru
1000 Post Club
Texas
I came across this blog ARE YOU NEW TO MEDICARE? and would appreciate some clarification about the proposed eligibility period for people to get on Medicare.

Quote, "IMPORTANT: You have 6 months before, the month of, and 6 months after you turn 65 to get your Medicare Supplement with NO UNDERWRITING! That means that no matter what your health situation is...you cannot be turned down for coverage. If you are losing your retirement benefits you have 63 days to get coverage with NO UNDERWRITING. This is the only time in your life when you can get coverage that is guaranteed no matter what your health issues may be!!" End Quote

Shouldn't that say 3 instead of 6 for total of 7 months and not 13 months?

Med supp companies will take an app up to 6 months in advance to turning 65. The open enrollment period lasts 6 months past getting your part b or turning 65 which ever is later. (Some might be on disability prior to 65).

We'll try to find a way for you to hit 202 before the week is out SAI:)

Anyway, yes that is correct. Traditional Supplements you have a 6-month window from Part B start date (or loss of group coverage if already on part B) to get the A-L plan GI. After that, all bets are off (like Rick's gloves LOL).

MA/MAPD is different. I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, you have 3 months prior and the month of Part B (or loss of group) to enroll otherwise you have to wait until AOE.

I came across this blog ARE YOU NEW TO MEDICARE? and would appreciate some clarification about the proposed eligibility period for people to get on Medicare.

Quote, "IMPORTANT: You have 6 months before, the month of, and 6 months after you turn 65 to get your Medicare Supplement with NO UNDERWRITING! That means that no matter what your health situation is...you cannot be turned down for coverage. If you are losing your retirement benefits you have 63 days to get coverage with NO UNDERWRITING. This is the only time in your life when you can get coverage that is guaranteed no matter what your health issues may be!!" End Quote

Shouldn't that say 3 instead of 6 for total of 7 months and not 13 months?

SAI is correct: 6 months for Med Sups following the 65th birthmonth and election of Part B.

Keep in mind: Not all Med Sups allow 6 month advance sign-up, and even for those who do, coverage does not start until the 1st of the 65th birthmonth (assuming election of Part B). The article is for the most part correct, but a little misleading in that respect.

Also, there are other times a beneficiary has guaranteed issue (Medicare protected) rights. So saying "This is the only time..." is wrong.

Last edited:
We'll try to find a way for you to hit 202 before the week is out SAI:)

Anyway, yes that is correct. Traditional Supplements you have a 6-month window from Part B start date (or loss of group coverage if already on part B) to get the A-L plan GI. After that, all bets are off (like Rick's gloves LOL).

MA/MAPD is different. I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, you have 3 months prior and the month of Part B (or loss of group) to enroll otherwise you have to wait until AOE.

The MA/MAPD initial enrollment period (IEP) is +/- 3 months surrounding the beneficiary's 65th birthmonth. That results in a total of 7 months of eligibility.

Last edited:
Med supp companies will take an app up to 6 months in advance to turning 65. The open enrollment period lasts 6 months past getting your part b or turning 65 which ever is later. (Some might be on disability prior to 65).

You bring up a good point few people address: Those on disability Medicare have another open enrollment period when they turn 65. So if they are under 65 on Medicare, they have all the open enrollment benefits available to them that all T-65s have.

The MA/MAPD initial enrollment period (IEP) is +/- 3 months surrounding the beneficiary's 65th birthmonth. That results in a total of 7 months of eligibility.

Thanks, I couldn't remember how many months it was, so it is 3+3+1 (the part B month).

I have some handy dandy Humana charts that show available MA enrollments for various situations. Just send me an Email and I will get them to you.

[email protected]

They will come in 3 emails since I had to flatbed scan them (they did fit in the feeder since they are laminated).

Also, they are a little dated because they have L-OEP still on there which is no longer available, but most of the info is still correct.

Back