Medical Savings Accounts under Medicare

MSA_Researcher

I am a researcher from L&M Policy Research. We have been contracted by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services to conduct an evaluation of the medical savings account option under Medicare.

In previous phases of the evaluation, L&M completed case studies of Medicare Advantage organizations offering the MSA plans and consumer research with Medicare beneficiaries enrolled in the MSA plans. We are currently conducting research with “information intermediaries,” including insurance agents/brokers, primary care physicians, and State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) counselors and staff. The aim of the current phase of the research is to gather information from individuals who explain the plans to Medicare beneficiaries, help them to enroll in the plans, and/or assist them in using the plan or addressing problems with the plans.

We are looking to conduct telephone focus groups with brokers who are selling MSA plans in the next two weeks. If you are interested or would like more information on our study, please email me.

I am a researcher from L&M Policy Research. We have been contracted by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services to conduct an evaluation of the medical savings account option under Medicare.

In previous phases of the evaluation, L&M completed case studies of Medicare Advantage organizations offering the MSA plans and consumer research with Medicare beneficiaries enrolled in the MSA plans. We are currently conducting research with “information intermediaries,” including insurance agents/brokers, primary care physicians, and State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) counselors and staff. The aim of the current phase of the research is to gather information from individuals who explain the plans to Medicare beneficiaries, help them to enroll in the plans, and/or assist them in using the plan or addressing problems with the plans.

We are looking to conduct telephone focus groups with brokers who are selling MSA plans in the next two weeks. If you are interested or would like more information on our study, please email me.

Medicare MSA is one of those products that just don't make sense when compared to other alternatives.

Why would someone who has the means to absorb a large deductible or fund an account not just stay on original Medicare and buy a supplement ?

Reminds me of other products that never get taken off the shelf like medicare Supplement Plan K, L and non alcoholic beer. These products are available but you wonder why ?

The MSA concept is great and when it first came out I wrote a bunch of people with Blue Cross of California. Of them, two are still on the plan.

Doctors never could figure out how they work, members never could understand the account balances and how to pay, and Blue Cross not only couldn't pay claims properly but sucked at explaining things.

Other than that, great idea!

Rick

The MSA concept is great and when it first came out I wrote a bunch of people with Blue Cross of California. Of them, two are still on the plan.

Doctors never could figure out how they work, members never could understand the account balances and how to pay, and Blue Cross not only couldn't pay claims properly but sucked at explaining things.

Other than that, great idea!

Rick

In OH, its a PFFS. Great concept but I wont sell it. But if you look at it and analyze it its the best concept for a senior and saves them the most money, if you take the deductible and subtract that from the MOOP.

In OH its a $1,300 out of pocket exposure. WHich is very good and less than most Med Sups annual premium.

In OH, its a PFFS. Great concept but I wont sell it. But if you look at it and analyze it its the best concept for a senior and saves them the most money, if you take the deductible and subtract that from the MOOP.

In OH its a $1,300 out of pocket exposure. WHich is very good and less than most Med Sups annual premium.

They are all basically PFFS since there is no network. Any doc that takes Medicare will be paid at Medicare rates.

Rick

Back