Medicare A + B + Group

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Just got off the phone with a guy, age 75 and good health (did not drill down). He has been on A and B plus wifes group plan for 10 yrs.

She will retire next year and he wants to know what their options are.

Will he have to go through underwriting since he has been on B for so long or does his group coverage (which is primary) take precedence?

He will have 6 months from the termination of a group plan to enroll in a supplement on a GI basis.

I know this is true in CA; assume it's federal law.

Rick

Thanks for the quick response.

Waiting on SAI to provide a real answer.

The real answer is 63 days. We don't usually correct Rick because well, it really doesn't matter what he thinks. When he gets his license we will probably start correcting him...

Also Mr. Somarco, these answers are easily found in the Medicare guide book. ;)

Last edited:
I don't like to disagree with Rick as he has "Diamond" status with Harrahs, which I take advantage of frequently.
Ricks answer was correct for Cali. Probably not for the other 57 states.

I don't like to disagree with Rick as he has "Diamond" status with Harrahs, which I take advantage of frequently.
Ricks answer was correct for Cali. Probably not for the other 57 states.

Now you know there are only 57 states total! If you take Cali away, that leaves 56.

You have been schedule to report to the the Obama School of Mathematical Learnin's on Monday at 8AM! :GEEK:

Mr SAI (and others including Rick), I knew the 63 day part because I found it on the Medicare site.

Your Rights To Buy A Medigap Policy

Situation 2 addresses the Medicare + group but is mute about someone having Part B as well as group. The guy is aware he has been paying for something for years he didn't need or use, but I wanted to make sure I gave him the right answer.

Still don't know if I should trust any of you since you all seem to be Democrats.

Mr SAI (and others including Rick), I knew the 63 day part because I found it on the Medicare site.

Your Rights To Buy A Medigap Policy

Situation 2 addresses the Medicare + group but is mute about someone having Part B as well as group. The guy is aware he has been paying for something for years he didn't need or use, but I wanted to make sure I gave him the right answer.

Still don't know if I should trust any of you since you all seem to be Democrats.

The fact that he has part B is what limits him to 63 days. If he did not have B, he would be in OE when he picked it up.

That is my serious post of the year. The rest of my responses will be as usual.....

Back