Medicare Advantage dis-enrollment

SamIam

Guru
1000 Post Club
I don't sell Medicare advantage so that is why I ask? I always thought you can only switch from Advantage back to original Medicare and a supplement during this time period if it wasn't the first year. Somebody told me in 2019 you can also switch back from Jan 1st through March 31st.

I have a client who has been on Medicare Advantage with a different agent for a couple of years and wants to go back a supplement she can't do it now because she is out of the country but will be back in February.

Can this be done?

I don't sell Medicare advantage so that is why I ask? I always thought you can only switch from Advantage back to original Medicare and a supplement during this time period if it wasn't the first year. Somebody told me in 2019 you can also switch back from Jan 1st through March 31st.

I have a client who has been on Medicare Advantage with a different agent for a couple of years and wants to go back a supplement she can't do it now because she is out of the country but will be back in February.

Can this be done?

New for 2019 is the Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period that runs from 1/1 to 3/31. During this time most (I don't say all b/c of ESRD) MA members can choose a different MA or disenroll to return to Original Medicare. If they return to OM, they can also enroll into a stand-alone prescription drug plan (PDP).

Can this be done?
TwoCents has this exactly right. I'll add one thing given you don't work with MA plans: don't submit the drug enrollment until after the med sup has been approved, as the PDP will automatically cancel that MA and you don't want to leave your client with no MA and a declined med sup.

Last edited:
Does this also apply to Part D the new enrollment period?

You can disenroll from your Medicare Advantage Plan and return to Original Medicare. If you choose to do so, you’ll be able to join a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan.

During this period, you can’t:
• Switch from Original Medicare to a Medicare Advantage Plan.
• Join a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan if you’re in Original Medicare.
• Switch from one Medicare Prescription Drug Plan to another if you’re in Original Medicare.

TwoCents has this exactly right. I'll add one thing given you don't work with MA plans: don't submit the drug enrollment until after the med sup has been approved, as the PDP will automatically cancel that MA and you don't want to leave your client with no MA and a declined med sup.

that was a fun lesson only the lucky agents get to experience lol

You can disenroll from your Medicare Advantage Plan and return to Original Medicare. If you choose to do so, you’ll be able to join a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan.

During this period, you can’t:
• Switch from Original Medicare to a Medicare Advantage Plan.
• Join a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan if you’re in Original Medicare.
• Switch from one Medicare Prescription Drug Plan to another if you’re in Original Medicare.

In response to an emailed question, I sent a client almost the exact quote above to explain to him how he could use the new OEP to leave his MAPD and go to Original Medicare.

He fired back a reply asking "how can I return to Original Medicare when I've never been in Original Medicare?" (I had enrolled him in an MAPD when his A/B first started, so he had always been in one.)

It would be nice if they would quit using the word "return" in that context. Sorta reminds me of a friend who had his car repossessed. He told me the bank "took it back." When had they had it before? Funny terminology here.

In response to an emailed question, I sent a client almost the exact quote above to explain to him how he could use the new OEP to leave his MAPD and go to Original Medicare.

He fired back a reply asking "how can I return to Original Medicare when I've never been in Original Medicare?" (I had enrolled him in an MAPD when his A/B first started, so he had always been in one.)

It would be nice if they would quit using the word "return" in that context. Sorta reminds me of a friend who had his car repossessed. He told me the bank "took it back." When had they had it before? Funny terminology here.

tell him, before anything, hes enrolled into Original Medicare.

Back