Medicare Advantage Marketing Rules

Well I did have a 3.70 grade point average in earning my Marketing degree. I think that if I can earn an A+ in Marketing Research, and an A+ in Strategic Management, I might possibly be able to explain the difference between a PPO, an HMO, and a network plan

I don't care if you had a 4.0, if you break the rules you won't be selling ANY Medicare Advantage plans.

You might want to take your education and read the CMS Marketing Guidelines.

You would still have to register your event with the MA carriers if you intend to market. If it's "educational", no need to register, but you can't bring up the topic of MA YOURSELF. They would have to request more info from you themselves. Then they could sign the "scope" or request for more info. Then, you could contact them.
I don't think that it's as easy as it sounds, unless you've got big titties and a smile :).

I would be hesitant about tying myself down to one MA carrier. If I was marketing under an Aarp banner it might be unethical to sell Humana plans. The only CMS rules seem to involve telemarketing or door to door marketing without a signed scope of agreement. I certainly understand that my plans are not conventional. I just would like to know if they violate a specific rule.

I would stand in front of a dollar store, courthouse, social security office, bus terminal, discount food store, etc.
I would hold a clipboard with scope of appointment forms on it, and a pen attatched with a string.
I would give a short sales pitch similar to a 30 second Medicare Advantage commercial. Then I would close with: give me your name, address, phone number, and signature, and we will call you back with more information, then I would hand them the clipboard with the scope of appointment to fill out. I would then have a sales lead roughly equivalent to an e64( if I was selling fe) . Having permission to contact them, I could later schedule them for a sitdown appointment

Sounds to me like you're giving a 30 second seminar without CMS approval a few other violation's. Try it for a day in front of the social security office and see what happens. :D:D:D:D

Well I did have a 3.70 grade point average in earning my Marketing degree. I think that if I can earn an A+ in Marketing Research, and an A+ in Strategic Management, I might possibly be able to explain the difference between a PPO, an HMO, and a network plan
The business and marketing education may come in handy. Too many agent's (myself included) jumped on the Medicare Advantage bandwagon thinking $0 premiums would be the easiest sale in the world! (Probably was up until 2008.)

I've found the barrier to entry to be pretty high if you want to sell it compliantly. Want to target turning 65? Better start sending out letters 6-12 months out, and keep sending repeat mailings up until their 65th birthday.

Or better yet, acquire them as clients in their 50's and early 60's, then you'll have your, own (in-house) aging in medicare leads. That's probably the best lead system out there, and it's free!

At least with Med Supps or Final Expense, you can still knock on doors or cold call until you can afford a marketing budget.

Last edited:
Well I will not be marketing MA any time soon anyway. I will get my license and sell fe for at least 6 months first. Do you call yourself blue diamond because you are nuts?

Not even licensed yet? So you don't know what you don't know. I figured you were inexperienced when you said you'd get 25-50 names per day. As far as marketing MA, you might want to start here:

http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Health-...Downloads/2014MedicareMarketingGuidelines.pdf

Of course, these will likely have some updates prior to the next AEP.

"Do you call yourself blue diamond because you are nuts?"
Show some respect. Blue Diamond has forgot more about Medicare than you'll ever learn.

Well I will not be marketing MA any time soon anyway. I will get my license and sell fe for at least 6 months first.
Do you call yourself blue diamond because you are nuts?

No just a little looney.

----------

"Do you call yourself blue diamond because you are nuts?"
Show some respect. Blue Diamond has forgot more about Medicare than you'll ever learn.

Thanks pcb, I have forgotten some but most of you here keep me straight.

I think MBA boy might be on to something. Surely he can teach a bunch of dumb insurance agents a thing or two about selling MA plans.

And yes, Blue Diamond is a nut.

Back