Medicare Advantage Marketing Rules

Once you get licensed and then certified to sell mapd, you will realize how ridiculous the rules are on selling these plans. I just got back into mapd after a 5 year break. CMS just makes it almost impossible to market Medicare advantage.

I've heard stories from veteran agents who sold mapd when they were first introduced, in like 2005? There were few rules on marketing, they could sell a prospect a $0 mapd, a $60 life , $20 dental and $20 hospital indemnity plan all in the same appt, so the pitch would be something like...I can give you health insurance, life and dental all for $100! I've been told the mapd commissions were fat back then as well.

Anyhow, it's just not what it used to be. Good luck.

OP- You still haven't said exactly how you plan to market. Will you have your own store front or will you stand outside a store with one of those whacky signs? Also, you really have no idea how onerous CMS is. And your projected numbers are laughable. Your 3.7 GPA is commendable, but I promise you there are a few smart agents out there who have been at it for a while, and if it were that easy to generate the numbers you speak of, it would have been done already. This is a great business, but it will take you a little time to build your knowledge of product and your sales technique. It will also take you several years to build up your block of business where you are at decent (subjective) income. Good luck.

OP- You still haven't said exactly how you plan to market. Will you have your own store front or will you stand outside a store with one of those whacky signs? Also, you really have no idea how onerous CMS is. And your projected numbers are laughable. Your 3.7 GPA is commendable, but I promise you there are a few smart agents out there who have been at it for a while, and if it were that easy to generate the numbers you speak of, it would have been done already. This is a great business, but it will take you a little time to build your knowledge of product and your sales technique. It will also take you several years to build up your block of business where you are at decent (subjective) income. Good luck.

Sure he did. He said the following:

"I would stand in front of a dollar store, courthouse, social security office, bus terminal, discount food store, etc. I would hold a clipboard with scope of appointment forms on it, and a pen attatched with a string.

I would give a short sales pitch similar to a 30 second Medicare Advantage commercial. Then I would close with: give me your name, address, phone number, and signature, and we will call you back with more information, then I would hand them the clipboard with the scope of appointment to fill out. I would then have a sales lead roughly equivalent to an e64( if I was selling fe) . Having permission to contact them, I could later schedule them for a sitdown appointment"

"I would stand in front of a dollar store, courthouse, social security office, bus terminal, discount food store, etc. I would hold a clipboard with scope of appointment forms on it, and a pen attatched with a string.

I would give a short sales pitch similar to a 30 second Medicare Advantage commercial. Then I would close with: give me your name, address, phone number, and signature, and we will call you back with more information, then I would hand them the clipboard with the scope of appointment to fill out. I would then have a sales lead roughly equivalent to an e64( if I was selling fe) . Having permission to contact them, I could later schedule them for a sitdown appointment"
I would just work one those UHC booths you see in the grocery store. I used to silently make fun of them, until I talked to one finishing up last December. She enrolled 57 during OE!

You might see me in one of those booths next October!

My mistake-I stand corrected. I wish him tremendous luck-I think he will need it!

I would just work one those UHC booths you see in the grocery store. I used to silently make fun of them, until I talked to one finishing up last December. She enrolled 57 during OE! You might see me in one of those booths next October!

Now that you mention it, how do we get set up with one of those booths? It seems like a fairly simple way to pick up some business. Do they let brokers work them or just career agents?

Back