Medicare Advantage Marketing Rules

Now that you mention it, how do we get set up with one of those booths? It seems like a fairly simple way to pick up some business. Do they let brokers work them or just career agents?

I get emails from a couple of FMO's every year offering the opportunity. I'd rather have a root canal than work one of those.

I get emails from a couple of FMO's every year offering the opportunity. I'd rather have a root canal than work one of those.

I have worked these for both Humana and United. I have written good business in the past off of them and as a new agent it may be worth it, but I won't do it again. My time is better spent on other things and my book is big enough I don't need to.

I have worked these for both Humana and United. I have written good business in the past off of them and as a new agent it may be worth it, but I won't do it again. My time is better spent on other things and my book is big enough I don't need to.
Agree. New agent a booth isn't the absolute worst thing in the world. For an established agent, it is pretty painful.

I sat in a Wal-Mart several days a week when the (unfunded) Part-D program was launched. I wrote something like 150 PDP and 30 MA plans. I thought I was in heaven. That pretty much put me into the MA business.

Rick

I go to a small shopping center near where I live. I sit in one of the tables in the food court, open my laptop, and put out a generic sign, "Let's Talk Medicare". I then wait for some of the mall walkers to stop on by.

While waiting, I work on proposals for Life, LTC, and Critical Illness.

I don't do it every day, just a few days, here and there. Never been stopped by Management, Security, nor reported by a Mall Walker. Maybe I'm lucky.

Don't have to worry about CMS, because MA nor PDP is mentioned. Don't have to worry about compliance, because I have no company specific materials with me.

Very low return, but on the days where I don't have much going on, it's not a bad idea.

That would have been 2006. How much did PDP and MA pay back then?

$50 for the PDP and $250 for the MA. I was offered $325 by another FMO but couldn't get a release from AGA (Applied General Agencies). Learned an important lesson that will never have to be repeated.

Rick

----------

Very low return, but on the days where I don't have much going on, it's not a bad idea.

Be honest. You're just there for the scenery.

Rick

I went through training for a couple of carriers back then. Seems like one was Secure Horizons and another was Pacific Care or something like that. I thought the MA comp was closer to $400. No clue what PDP was.

There were a bunch of guys recruiting an promising the moon back then.

I sat in a Wal-Mart several days a week when the (unfunded) Part-D program was launched. I wrote something like 150 PDP and 30 MA plans. I thought I was in heaven. That pretty much put me into the MA business.

Rick

What was the last day for enrollment back in 2006? May 15th? I wrote 22 MAs that day, 17 of them at Walmart. Too bad I was captive then at $130 a crack.

$50 for the PDP and $250 for the MA. I was offered $325 by another FMO but couldn't get a release from AGA (Applied General Agencies). Learned an important lesson that will never have to be repeated.

Rick

----------

Be honest. You're just there for the scenery.

How did you receive so little? In my last year in SoCal (2005), I was making $300 for a SCAN app, $450 for a Secure Horizons and $350 for a Caremore app. I was told that Caremore went up to $700 or $1,000/app after that. Might have been somebody yanking my chain? I clearly left too soon.

----------

What was the last day for enrollment back in 2006? May 15th? I wrote 22 MAs that day, 17 of them at Walmart. Too bad I was captive then at $130 a crack.

I think that it was March 31. Then , we went into those goofy SEP situations. My monthly quota at Secure Horizons was 60/mo, then went down to 25 during SEP.

Back