Medicare Advantage, No Coverage for Diabetic Supplies

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Prospect asked about diabetic supplies and med's for diabetes. He has an MA plan through the Georgia SHBP. The summary does not specifically mention diabetic supplies one way or the other, but I don't understand how they can deny coverage for something covered by Medicare B or D.

Prospect asked about diabetic supplies and med's for diabetes. He has an MA plan through the Georgia SHBP. The summary does not specifically mention diabetic supplies one way or the other, but I don't understand how they can deny coverage for something covered by Medicare B or D.

They are covered. From your link, click on "Show plan details" then click on "Plan Information" (it's the 2.6mb file). Look on page 42.

Thanks Scott. This person says he was covered under the SHBP retiree plan for several years (BX and Cigna prior). He claims UHC is denying coverage. Will try to get more detail. Didn't make sense. He emailed me so he could be just testing the water.

Thanks Scott. This person says he was covered under the SHBP retiree plan for several years (BX and Cigna prior). He claims UHC is denying coverage. Will try to get more detail. Didn't make sense. He emailed me so he could be just testing the water.

I'm guessing it's either a coding error or he's just unaware of what his 20% cost actually is and is assuming UHC isn't paying anything.

Regardless, SHBP made lots of folks mad when they made their changes for the 2014 benefit year. Both active employees and retirees.

Wasn't much better for the 2015 plan year. They did add more carriers but the BX POS network for U65 still sucks. UHC came in WAY below BX on the retiree portion. Still haven't figured out how they did that but I don't run into retirees on SHBP that often.

Back