Medicare and Cannabis

Interesting question came up today and I honestly don't know the answer.

Good old Mary Jane has been prescribed Cannabis to help her with chronic pain. She does not wish to take Opiates and her doc doesn't want to prescribe them.

She lives in a state where medical cannabis is available. It's still considered a class one drug via the Feds, so would any Insurance company cover it? Or, because of the contact with Medicare, it will not be covered at all?

I'm thinking the later but another agent feels that a MAPD plan may move forward in covering this. Simply because they are able to cover some things that Medicare can not.

Whose right?

I really don't know for sure, but I wouldn't think it would be on the list of approved treatments by Medicare since it is still a federal offense.

I’m sure it can’t be covered due to amazingly stupid federal law along with CMS protecting the “elderly.” Also, drug companies can’t profit so clearly not going to be FDA approved. And all Part D drugs must be FDA approved.

F’king idiots.

Rick

I really don't know for sure, but I wouldn't think it would be on the list of approved treatments by Medicare since it is still a federal offense.
I actually called and asked them about that a couple of weeks ago.

Since it not legalized federally, it can't be approved by the FDA. When it's approved by the FDA, it'll be covered by Medicare and PDP's. I'd love to get my weed paid for by Medicare and SilverScript!!! :yes:

FDA has to approve it, so far it has only approved 1.
Medicare has to make a determination, cover under b or d
Plan can put it on its formulary
Thanks. What has the FDA approved? It does seem like I remember Medicare saying that something was approved, but I can't remember what it was. Nothing I'd be interested in.

Epidiolex for sezuires
Yep, I think that's the one they mentioned.

"On a call with investors this week, British-based GW Pharmaceuticals, who makes the drug, said it would cost roughly $32,500 per year. The medication does not contain THC, the well-known psychoactive component of marijuana responsible for the drug's characteristic high.

Can't even get high off of it. No thanks and I can probably stay high for the rest of my life for $32,500. :laugh:

mu-images-08.png

Back