Medicare and COBRA Case Study

WCMason

Guru
1000 Post Club
I'm working with a T65 man who wants to enroll in a med supp or MA. He has employer coverage, but it is very expensive and not very good; so much so that he wanted to put his younger wife on COBRA until she got an individual plan, which she'd easily qualify for. I told him that his wife would be entitled to 36 months of COBRA due to his Medicare eligibility. Today he sent me the following email from the benefits admin at the private school where he teaches:

Here is what I have concluded. I had this information confirmed with benefits administrator's COBRA department.

Your wife is eligible for 18 months of standard COBRA coverage, plus an additional 6 months of state continuation coverage. The reason she would not be eligible for 36 months plus 6 months is this……….

Our plan does not require that group coverage be dropped once an employee becomes eligible for Medicare. For example, if you had become eligible for Medicare last February and you were still employed full time, our plan would not have required that you drop our Aetna plan and just go on Medicare. Some employers have plans that do require that you drop their plan and go only on Medicare once you are eligible for Medicare. Had you been required to drop our coverage, that would have been a qualifying event for your wife. She would have been entitled to 18 month plus 6 months. Then, continuing with this example of what if you had become eligible for Medicare a few months ago and lost our Aetna coverage…….after that, you retired from the school at the end of May. This would have been considered a second qualifying event and that would have entitled your wife to have COBRA coverage for 36 months plus 6 months.

The COBRA law says that she would only have been entitled to 36 months plus 6 months had you incurred a second qualifying event.

I have studied the Dept of Labor guide to COBRA. It seems clear to me that his enrollment in Medicare is a qualifying event for his wife, and entitles her to 36 months of COBRA. No mention of the rule quoted above that the termination of coverage had to be involuntary to qualify for the additional COBRA. And it seems clear that her extended eligibility is a first qualifying event with no requirement for a second.

I have been told by others in a similar situation that they got confirmation from benefits administrators that the spouse gets 36 months. I'm pretty sure this guy is not getting correct information, but never absolutely sure when it comes to these technical details around federal law. Any input on this from anyone?

Last edited:
Why even worry with all that stuff. Write her a stm at the time you take her application. You said she could easily qualify and you know how expensive cobra is, for her probably about $750 a month.

But you might have a state hippa or mippa rule buried in there causing this.

I can't imagine an HR person at the private school could know all the ins and outs of these laws.

Why even worry with all that stuff. Write her a stm at the time you take her application. You said she could easily qualify and you know how expensive cobra is, for her probably about $750 a month.

But you might have a state hippa or mippa rule buried in there causing this.

I can't imagine an HR person at the private school could know all the ins and outs of these laws.

Here's why: I want to be giving people accurate information. I'm bothered at the thought that I may give people misinformation about their benefits.

Sent from my iPad using InsForums

Here's why: I want to be giving people accurate information. I'm bothered at the thought that I may give people misinformation about their benefits.

Check out those laws I mentioned.

How many full time employees. What state?
Just trying to help no need to get snappy.

Check out those laws I mentioned.

How many full time employees. What state?
Just trying to help no need to get snappy.

I have researched MIPPA and found nothing that relates to this issue. State laws can add to, but not limit or reduce federal benefits, so the state laws aren't a factor. It is an employer with 20 or more employees.

I have researched MIPPA and found nothing that relates to this issue. State laws can add to, but not limit or reduce federal benefits, so the state laws aren't a factor. It is an employer with 20 or more employees.

You said it was a school maybe they have an exception for them and or non profits or not for profits. These politicos write so many things into laws it makes it tough from now on I will just say you get between 18 and 36 months depending on who your congressman is...

As of 1-1-14 I don't think folks will be buying cobra anymore.

I agree no cobra after 1-1-14. STM with a critical illness save them money in the mean time if she gets sick then enroll her into Obama care because her STM ran out and is not renewable Special election for her and the paycheck from the critical illness will pay for tge premium

Wc I'm with you... I want the info correct so when I speak I know it's the gospel... Some on here are bull hit artist...yep, I said it cowboy... Get you some

Wc I'm with you... I want the info correct so when I speak I know it's the gospel... Some on here are bull hit artist...yep, I said it cowboy... Get you some

You ain't with anybody except your own wallet you slimy a$$ EX-Politician.

I would rather be friends with a bank robber.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it chump!

Back