Medicare and Cross Sells at Same Appointment

I recently took a medicare related CE course and discovered something of which I was not previously aware. Basically, it stated that an agent cannot cross sell from a medicare appointment. If an agent makes an appointment to speak with someone about Medicare related products, the agent cannot pivot the conversation to other insurance products (LTC, Life, etc.) during that appointment. The idea is that the original appointment was scheduled for Medicare--not the other, potential cross sell opportunities. Did I read into this incorrectly?

I recently took a medicare related CE course and discovered something of which I was not previously aware. Basically, it stated that an agent cannot cross sell from a medicare appointment. If an agent makes an appointment to speak with someone about Medicare related products, the agent cannot pivot the conversation to other insurance products (LTC, Life, etc.) during that appointment. The idea is that the original appointment was scheduled for Medicare--not the other, potential cross sell opportunities. Did I read into this incorrectly?

Yes, you read it incorrectly. You are not cross sell from a medicare advantage and/or PDP appointment unless the prospect brings it up and then you have a waiting period in most cases.

For a medicare supplement appointment you are allowed to cross sell in most states.

You can cross sell at a MA/PDP appointment but only to the items listed in the scope of appointment form (provided the SOA you are using has other lines of health coverage listed) and was disclosed prior to signing the SOA.

You can cross sell at a MA/PDP appointment but only to the items listed in the scope of appointment form (provided the SOA you are using has other lines of health coverage listed) and was disclosed prior to signing the SOA.

You taught me a few months ago to get the SOA signed after the presentation and application. That way it's easier to cross-sell. :biggrin:

Rick

correct, which includes LTC, hospital indemnity, cancer, etc (has to be a health product)

You are allowed to let them know that you sell other products...

Even on a Humana (CMS) training video the "agent" told the "prospect" about life insurance for kids (Who would buy life insurance for kids from Humana???) - and basically left it at "we'll need to talk about that another time..."

----------

Basically, you can't "sell" or even "present" other products on mapd/pdp appointments which aren't on the scope.

Back