Medicare Benefits at Work Vs. Med Supp/adv

4MEDICARE

Pardon me for asking things that probably have been asked a few times, but I've always done under 65 and getting back into over 65 now.
I have someone who is 67 and still works. He's got Part A & B. He also is on his insurance plan from work. He is not happy with that group plan and knows that a med supp or Part C will be better for him. Can he simply opt out of the group plan through work and get on a med supp or adv plan now and then he'll only have original medicare and med supp/adv instead of the group plan? Thank you.

Pardon me for asking things that probably have been asked a few times, but I've always done under 65 and getting back into over 65 now.
I have someone who is 67 and still works. He's got Part A & B. He also is on his insurance plan from work. He is not happy with that group plan and knows that a med supp or Part C will be better for him. Can he simply opt out of the group plan through work and get on a med supp or adv plan now and then he'll only have original medicare and med supp/adv instead of the group plan? Thank you.

He should be able to drop the coverage and get a MAPD with no problem. With Med supps it is a bit trickier because he would need to qualify medically unless his state is one of the few that allows GI whether if he chooses to opt out. Most require he be dropped involuntarily for GI. If he is healthy, he can do whatever he/she wants.

Back