Medicare from spouse question

Chazm

Guru
5000 Post Club
Orlando
I feel like I’m missing something here but this client was told from Medicare that she isn’t eligible for Medicare because she didn’t hit her 40 quarters (not free A).
But she was married for 22 years, now divorced, still single and he is eligible for social security benefits.

They told her you have to be married forever in order to get Medicare benefits from him.

Did she get bad info or am I just wrong?

I feel like I’m missing something here but this client was told from Medicare that she isn’t eligible for Medicare because she didn’t hit her 40 quarters (not free A).
But she was married for 22 years, now divorced, still single and he is eligible for social security benefits.

They told her you have to be married forever in order to get Medicare benefits from him.

Did she get bad info or am I just wrong?
She should qualify under her former spouse's earnings. She will likely need to take a copy of marriage certificate and paperwork related to the final divorce decree to the SSA office.

Well. I was just informed that he’s only 59. For some reason I thought he was older.
So at 62 she should be ok, right?

Yeah I was pretty sure the lady at medicare was wrong. She was told they have to be married still but I wanted to double check here.
She has 37 quarters so it’s only $232 for part a

Back