Medicare Marketing Rules----The True Purpose ?

Gulfman

Guru
100+ Post Club
Hi Friends,

Anyone know the "reasoning" behind all the Medicare Marketing Rules?
  • -what happened to where the gov. (or co's) said, you can't solit. Med Supps and MA at the same time?
  • -why does the gov. (or co's) not want you to leave flyers on Doors?
  • -why you can't cold call for Med.Advantage Plans?
  • -etc.

Upon reviewing these rules, it just doesn't make any sense...Can someone enlighten me?

Does anyone see any logic behind it---there must be a reason?

Thank you....

One simple answer....abuse.

Misrepresenting MAs for med supps (replacing med supps of seniors)
Harassing seniors about MA products on the phone/cold knocking
Not giving all the details about MA plans (networks, coverages, etc)

I am sure there are many others, but the rules were put in place to protect seniors. THe problem still remains, poor agents who did not follow the rules are not going to follow the rules now. It just makes more work for those agents who believe in following the rules. I still find agents who cold call for MAs. I still have clients call saying someone just showed up at their house and tried to switch them to an MA. I know of a group that cold calls seniors (regardless of the DNC) and says they can bypass the DNC because they are trying to set up an in home appointment and not trying to sell over the phone....

Like criminals and gun control. Controlling guns in the population that follows the rules only makes the landscape more fruitful for the criminals who are not going to follow the rules...

I work a fair amount in the PDP and MA market, but every year I contemplate leaving it because of the rules and new changes.

Hi Friends, Anyone know the "reasoning" behind all the Medicare Marketing Rules? [*]-what happened to where the gov. (or co's) said, you can't solit. Med Supps and MA at the same time? [*]-why does the gov. (or co's) not want you to leave flyers on Doors? [*]-why you can't cold call for Med.Advantage Plans? [*]-etc. Upon reviewing these rules, it just doesn't make any sense...Can someone enlighten me? Does anyone see any logic behind it---there must be a reason? Thank you.... .

It's more political than anything in my opinion.

MA plans are George Bush Republican plans. But they appeal to the Democratic voting base more than anyone else.

The Democrat politicians can't have a program that takes Government controlled money for Government healthcare and gives it to "for profit" insurance companies become hugely popular and successful. And especially not with their voting base.

If Medicare Advantage was allowed to be marketed like a normal product, many more agents would embrace it and more of the public would understand it and it would most likely be more popular than original Medicare.

Half of the politicians would never stand for the free market to run more efficiently than a government program. So they make certain that it's screwed up.

That's my opinion. I could be wrong.

Another major reason is that solicitation rules protect carriers and their captive agents. Humana can cold call their PDP clients even though they might "belong" to an indy agent and pitch a move into an MA. We can't.

It's not just Humana but if any carrier was responsible for making it harder for us and in fact writing a letter to the then chair of Ways and Means blaming us it's the debil.

In fact, Humana has gone so far as to require indy agents to write all business F2F. They (incorrectly) blame CMS for this but it's just another example of handcuffing us.

Rick

Another major reason is that solicitation rules protect carriers and their captive agents. Humana can cold call their PDP clients even though they might "belong" to an indy agent and pitch a move into an MA. We can't.

It's not just Humana but if any carrier was responsible for making it harder for us and in fact writing a letter to the then chair of Ways and Means blaming us it's the debil.

In fact, Humana has gone so far as to require indy agents to write all business F2F. They (incorrectly) blame CMS for this but it's just another example of handcuffing us.

Rick

This is the part I just don't get, I mean if it is an important rule that is needed. Why then are some parties exempt?

Is that a serious question?

1) Independent agents = evil
2) Humana/UHC = good

Follow the money.

Rick

I'm just saying how can they get away with this in broad daylight and not get called out on it.

I just don't get it.

I'm just saying how can they get away with this in broad daylight and not get called out on it.

I just don't get it.

They're not getting away with anything. The law allows carriers to solicit their own clients for other coverage. We're held to a higher standard because we're evil.

Rick

Latest posts

Back