Medicare Millionaire

FWIW, I never use paper apps. If a carrier doesn't offer an e-app I don't write with them.

Even if I did F2F I would still use e-apps. All are saved as PDF on my computer and backed up with Carbonite. Also have access to a copy on the cloud anywhere there is internet access. When I travel out of town as long as I have a phone and internet I can still conduct business.

As your client block grows client relationships can suffer, depending on how often you "touch" you clients and how much counseling you do.

My clients know they can call or email anytime, but email is preferred. Gives both of us a permanent record of any conversation. I respond to emails from 6AM until sometimes as late as 11PM and I do that 7 days a week, dialed back slightly on major holidays.

Just yesterday a client called to ask about a new law where Medicare will pay your supplement premium for you. At first I had no clue what she was talking about. The more we talked the only logical answer was someone was using a twisted sales pitch to promote $0 premium MA plans.

I was on the phone with her for 10 - 15 minutes. During that time she asked if her plan was still a good buy. I had emailed her back in May to alert her to an upcoming renewal. At that time she had no interest in changing, even though she could save about $30/mo vs her renewal. Now she has an interest in reviewing options but a planned knee replacement for early next year kills that change. Towards the end of our conversation she thanked me for taking time to address her questions about this "free Medicare supplement" and told me she had passed my name along to a friend who is turning 65 in a few months.

I have over 400 clients. That block was built slowly as I gravitated away from under 65 health insurance before totally abandoning that market in late 2014. 400 clients may not seem like a lot to some agents but it keeps me off the streets.

It's just me. No hired help. Every one of my clients get personal attention and detailed answers to their questions. If we talk by phone they get a follow up email summarizing our discussion and my advice. Emails are tracked and often I notice they re-open an email months later to review something we discussed.

Medigap doesn't have the level of service work I had when my clients were all U65 but the questions and dialogue often lead to new referrals. Looking ahead to AEP I will have my hands full reviewing PDP options for many of my clients, fielding questions about changing their Medigap "since it is open enrollment" as well as working prospective new clients that come in via my websites.

PDP's, at least the way I work them, is very time consuming. Some can be done in 15 minutes or less which includes repeating the details in an email, while others can take 30 minutes or longer.

I don't cross-sell anything. My focus is Medigap only.

I also don't chase after people who don't want to buy or just want rates. New prospects are called once and once only. If we don't talk by phone in 3 - 5 days they get a "closing your file" email. My target is low hanging fruit. That works with my personality and "style". It results in long term clients, not just policy buyers.

Everyone works their business differently and everyone has different goals, monetary and otherwise. What works for one may not for another.

Working F2F is much different from phone sales. There is no way I could maintain the level of contact and service if I spent all day in the car. When I used to work "free" leads the system did not allow me to call ahead and pre-screen. (No phone number on the lead card). It was get in the car, drive and knock on the door until they answer or someone calls the cops.

Screw that.

When I started generating my own leads, and still working F2F, everyone was called and pre-qualified. Everyone got a reminder call the day before and right before I left to meet them.

Sure I burned through more leads (and still do) but my closing ratio and ROI went way up.

Again, I am not trying to convince anyone to change the way they do business. But I also know a lot of agents confuse activity with productivity.

I took golf lessons a few years ago. My trainer told me all the time at the driving range was wasted unless I was practicing the correct swing. Practicing bad habits is a waste of time and money.

Same goes for your business.

Keep up the good work.

Your FMO mails for you? I assume you are getting free leads from them and taking a haircut on comm? Or are you paying for the leads?

I do direct mail too and I have a TM calling. But I’m not sending out enough cards. I really should double it next year and double my sales.

I responded to this yesterday but it never posted. I get free leads from two FMO's. I really only use those two. I do not have to pay or get a "haircut" on commissions. The leads come primarily during AEP, but a few thousand mailed over the course of the year.

I do mainly rely on TM. I expect to make a big charge to internet in the next 12 to 18 months. That is the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, I never use paper apps. If a carrier doesn't offer an e-app I don't write with them.

Even if I did F2F I would still use e-apps. All are saved as PDF on my computer and backed up with Carbonite. Also have access to a copy on the cloud anywhere there is internet access. When I travel out of town as long as I have a phone and internet I can still conduct business.

As your client block grows client relationships can suffer, depending on how often you "touch" you clients and how much counseling you do.

My clients know they can call or email anytime, but email is preferred. Gives both of us a permanent record of any conversation. I respond to emails from 6AM until sometimes as late as 11PM and I do that 7 days a week, dialed back slightly on major holidays.

Just yesterday a client called to ask about a new law where Medicare will pay your supplement premium for you. At first I had no clue what she was talking about. The more we talked the only logical answer was someone was using a twisted sales pitch to promote $0 premium MA plans.

I was on the phone with her for 10 - 15 minutes. During that time she asked if her plan was still a good buy. I had emailed her back in May to alert her to an upcoming renewal. At that time she had no interest in changing, even though she could save about $30/mo vs her renewal. Now she has an interest in reviewing options but a planned knee replacement for early next year kills that change. Towards the end of our conversation she thanked me for taking time to address her questions about this "free Medicare supplement" and told me she had passed my name along to a friend who is turning 65 in a few months.

I have over 400 clients. That block was built slowly as I gravitated away from under 65 health insurance before totally abandoning that market in late 2014. 400 clients may not seem like a lot to some agents but it keeps me off the streets.

It's just me. No hired help. Every one of my clients get personal attention and detailed answers to their questions. If we talk by phone they get a follow up email summarizing our discussion and my advice. Emails are tracked and often I notice they re-open an email months later to review something we discussed.

Medigap doesn't have the level of service work I had when my clients were all U65 but the questions and dialogue often lead to new referrals. Looking ahead to AEP I will have my hands full reviewing PDP options for many of my clients, fielding questions about changing their Medigap "since it is open enrollment" as well as working prospective new clients that come in via my websites.

PDP's, at least the way I work them, is very time consuming. Some can be done in 15 minutes or less which includes repeating the details in an email, while others can take 30 minutes or longer.

I also don't chase after people who don't want to buy or just want rates. New prospects are called once and once only. If we don't talk by phone in 3 - 5 days they get a "closing your file" email. My target is low hanging fruit. That works with my personality and "style". It results in long term clients, not just policy buyers.

Everyone works their business differently and everyone has different goals, monetary and otherwise. What works for one may not for another.

Working F2F is much different from phone sales. There is no way I could maintain the level of contact and service if I spent all day in the car. When I used to work "free" leads the system did not allow me to call ahead and pre-screen. (No phone number on the lead card). It was get in the car, drive and knock on the door until they answer or someone calls the cops.

Screw that.

When I started generating my own leads, and still working F2F, everyone was called and pre-qualified. Everyone got a reminder call the day before and right before I left to meet them.

Sure I burned through more leads (and still do) but my closing ratio and ROI went way up.

Again, I am not trying to convince anyone to change the way they do business. But I also know a lot of agents confuse activity with productivity.

I took golf lessons a few years ago. My trainer told me all the time at the driving range was wasted unless I was practicing the correct swing. Practicing bad habits is a waste of time and money.

Keep up the good work.

I don't disagree with anything you've said, but I'm on a mission from God. Just kidding, do you remember when they used that line in the "Blue Brothers"?

Actually, I'm going with what I know to build things up and then I'll have the luxury to reevaluate. Right now it's about getting back on board. I had less than 200 clients August 1st. That number is going to grow to over 400 by the end of the year and I'm going to add 500 to it next year. The goal is 1000 as fast as possible. This is a mission I set out on when I started in this business, at age 25. I lost my way. But now I'm going to make it happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Screw that.

Keep up the good work.

Do you just sell in one State? Are all of your internet leads from your web site? How long did it take for you to build traffic to your site?

Direct mail and Filipino telemarketing, 4-10 appts every day. I have 2 FMO's direct mail for me. Sometimes I have 20-30 leads to work at a time. I map them out in Streets and Trips and optimize route. I don't schedule for times, only that I'll be there tomorrow am or pm.

How many Filipino folks calling? What are you having them say when they reach someone?

Great job on the production!

Do you just sell in one State? Are all of your internet leads from your web site? How long did it take for you to build traffic to your site?

For now, yes, only Georgia. Once I write everyone in Georgia I will consider other states.

All leads come from my sites.

Longer than I expected.

A few questions....

What made you decide once and only once? Have you always done that or is it more of a recent thing now that you have a lot of years established in the business?

I ask this because it goes against the usual follow-up advice out there... Do you say something in the voicemail to let them know - in a nice way - that if they don't return your call you won't try again?

Also, the "closing your file" e-mail interests me. You aren't the first agent I've heard of using something like it...

Your style sounds like it would be fairly stress-free. I know I started to close more - a lot more - when I no longer felt like I needed to make the sale.

Scott, I do most things differently from others. I decided several years ago to call only once. I approach my business based on the way I want to be treated. Someone that calls me multiple times not only pi$$es me off but comes across as desperate.

I am not desperate and don't want to appear that way. If they are interested in what I have to offer they will call me back.

Do I miss a few sales by only calling once.

Probably.

But I don't care. I go for low hanging fruit. Only want the ones that want me. Other agents can have the rest of them.

Most of the folks I "sold" in 2010 when I shifted to Medicare are still clients. A couple dozen have died. A few, maybe about the same number, have done something else. If you subtract deaths my retention is over 95%.

I used to tell folks in the voice mail I would only call once but I stopped doing that. Found it more effective to send a "closing your file" email a few days after my call if they did not return my call.

People don't mind firing an agent but they hate it when an agent fires them. The take away still works.

Your style sounds like it would be fairly stress-free. I know I started to close more - a lot more - when I no longer felt like I needed to make the sale.

I can put the hammer down and drag people across the finish line if I want, but I just don't want to any more. Those people don't stay clients. I would rather they chase me than the other way around.

And yes, a lot less stress.

If I don't make a sale this week, so what? If I go for 3 weeks it starts to bother me. But then I make 5 the next week and it all works out.

When I NEEDED to make a sale it came across and I didn't close as many folks. When the pressure is off me it's off them as well and they sense that.

People hate to be sold but they love to buy.

I give them every opportunity to buy.

Bob, u r full of.........wisdom. thanks for sharing. I run a similar model by accident, by telling them I won't be following up with them at end of call. If they want me and my advice, they know how to reach me. I don't have the time to chase, with somebody always ready to buy calling u back. I don't know where u find the time for a closing file email. Rarely do I lose to another agent, always turns out their life changed and can't buy what I sell anyways.

Of course new agents don't have this luxury.

My "closing your file" is a form email. Takes all of maybe 3 seconds to send. Right before doing that I take their name off any follow up automated emails and any rate reports are likewise eliminated so the earlier email links don't work.

Kinda fun watching people click those links and getting nothing after I have fired them.

And yes, having a block of business with nice renewals changes your perspective and approach. When I was starting from scratch it was very hard to pretend it did not matter if they bought or not.

Back