Medicare Part D and PAP

axeman462

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
got a customer, that has a Part D plan that wont be a good choice for her, so I recommending a new plan. But, she takes a drug that she is getting through the RX manufacturer (sorry, cant remember the name of the drug at this exact moment).
She is concerned that changing the Part D plan, would somehow affect the PAP.

This is a little unusual for me. I can't recall a time, when I came across a PAP that is eligible for people on Medicare (not saying they don't exist, but this is the first time I believe, I came across one). Most are not eligible when on Medicare.

Anybody know, if changing Part D plans, can affect the PAP with the drug manufacturer?

The PAP doesn't care what PDP a consumer is on. I have numerous client with Part D coverage that qualify for PAP.

The easy and simple way for you to cover your ass is a phone call to the PAP manufacturer and ask them the question you pose here.

For the PAP programs I've helped clients with, the eligibility criteria usually changes if the client is covered by a Part D plan. Some won't work at all as the OP noted, others will with restrictions, 2 examples:

Sonofi: If you are enrolled in Medicare Part D, in addition to the criteria above (income less than 400% FPL), you must also spend at least 2% of your annual household income on prescription medications.
GSK: Proof that they have spent $600 out-of-pocket on prescription medications.

These can be a reasonable amount of work, even when I advise the client to finish the forms with their triage nurse.

Here's a handy link with a pretty comprehensive list: Pharmaceutical Assistance Program

Back