Medicare Part D Question

Nikita

Guru
100+ Post Club
If someone had Part A only, and they are admitted to the hospital, does the Part A cover any prescription medicines they are given while they are an in-patient or would they have to have Part D to get the medicines covered?

It appears "self administered" drugs in the hospital are no longer covered under Medicare? If you take, for example, simvastatin and lisinopril at home and are given it in the hospital, Medicare does not cover it and you are billed at some outrageous cost. Anyone seen this or is our hospital ,,,lifepoint, just nuts?

It appears "self administered" drugs in the hospital are no longer covered under Medicare? If you take, for example, simvastatin and lisinopril at home and are given it in the hospital, Medicare does not cover it and you are billed at some outrageous cost. Anyone seen this or is our hospital ,,,lifepoint, just nuts?

1. Was the client admitted to the hospital as inpatient or "Under Observation"? (This is critical)
2. Based on the info, I would assume client was Under Observation. Oral meds that are administered while Under Observation are covered under Part D, not A or B. Client is able to submit for reimbursement.

How I explain it to clients during the sale...."Unless you know you are being admitted, you need to take your prescriptions with you to the hospital, in the original container. If you can't do that, try and make sure to have someone bring them to you. Otherwise, the hospital is going to charge you $20 for a single pill. And your Part D plan will send you a reimbursement check for $.10 cents."

They may still get hit with a bill, but at least you already told them about it....

I could be wrong but I don't think the hospital allows self-administered drugs due to liability concerns.

I could be wrong but I don't think the hospital allows self-administered drugs due to liability concerns.

I've done it twice now with my parents in the ER and gotten zero pushback. I think the nurses know what the issue is.

"I've done it twice now with my parents in the ER and gotten zero pushback. I think the nurses know what the issue is. "

I can see this with certain meds, like blood pressure, statins & diabetes meds, but I don't think hospital would like patients to bring in their own pain killers.

These "self administrated" drugs are those that the nurse brought in in the little container, placed then on the little tray and the patient picked it up and put the little cheap pill in their mouth and swallowed it.

Pills brought to you by the nurse are not self administered. The nurse cannot swallow them for you.

If you would rather the nurse assist, she can treat them like a suppository.

Those are definitely not self administered.

Pills brought to you by the nurse are not self administered. The nurse cannot swallow them for you.

If you would rather the nurse assist, she can treat them like a suppository.

Those are definitely not self administered.

Yikes...I wouldn't want a nurse sticking pills up my butt!!!:no:

Back