Medicare Presentation - Senior Center

brooks

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I have been asked to put together a presentation on medicare by my local senior center. I represent Medigap and Advantage companies. Personal preference is for Medigaps but some folks struggle with the cost.

I'm putting together my Powerpoint. I plan to do the Reader's Digest version of "Medicare Handbook-2011".

Slide 1 is labeled "Medicare" ...no other info ...just the label.

Slide 2 .... I start with all the things I can't do per CMS. I quote directly from CMS ...word for word ...on what I can't do.

Once I'm done with these next 50 slides ...I go right into page 2 of the "Handbook".

Am I in violation by posting and informing the general public on the marketing rules? All I am doing is informing them of the "law of the land?" I will not editorialize on merits. Just use verbatim rules - word for word ... including page numbers.

I think i read somewhere that all presentations, slides or handouts have to be approved by cms.

I don't think starting your presentation with a negative (all the things I can't do) is a poor strategy. If you want to do it at all consider things like car commercials. They pitch the deal then post the tiny print at the end while some announcer rushes through them.

You might even print out all the rules and offer it as a handout. Print double space, large font, and make light of it.

"These are all the things the government says we can't tell you. Anyone who wants a copy can have one. Use it as a guide. If another agent breaks these rules, report them".

And include ways to contact CMS and file a complaint.

You should really talk to a carrier rep or your upline about the most recent version of the guidelines, but this is going to have to be a STRICTLY educational presentation and you can't get sales from it or you would get in a ton of trouble. Any chance you could get them to advertise it (even if it's just by putting a few flyers up) as a sales presentation and file it with CMS? If you like Medigap plans more for that area you could absolutely include that in the presentation, but you're going to want to file it as an MA sales event if you want to be able to sell any MA plans or if you want to avoid getting harassed and perhaps falsely convicted of conducting a sales seminar without following the rules.

I do these all the time and never use a power point. I did in the past but realized that just going over the information and handing them a form was better.
If you need anything let me know.

Call it a educationsl event and keep it educational and just outline Medicare and any changes. Use a flip chart and put down the 4 parts. Explain A & B and how a sup works and the approximate annual cost with drug plan and the annual increases. Then move onto Part C and the different types and how they work, explaining the advantages and disadvatages. DO NOT SHOW FAVORITISM. KEEP IT EDUCATIONAL. If they want to make an appt, give them the SOA to sign just in case.

Call it a educationsl event and keep it educational and just outline Medicare and any changes. Use a flip chart and put down the 4 parts. Explain A & B and how a sup works and the approximate annual cost with drug plan and the annual increases. Then move onto Part C and the different types and how they work, explaining the advantages and disadvatages. DO NOT SHOW FAVORITISM. KEEP IT EDUCATIONAL. If they want to make an appt, give them the SOA to sign just in case.

You can only give out your business card. Period. Nothing else.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Rick

First off, it is NOT a Medicare Presentation. It is a gathering to discuss what is out there, in the way of Medicare options. If the Senior Center is doing a flyer, have them present it that way.

Do not do PowerPoint. It is too impersonal, and Seniors like someone who is there just to sit and "chat" with them. Don't come off as too slick. Don't wear a jacket and tie. Wear slacks and a collared shirt.

Make copies of pages right out of the Medicare and You booklet, that will take care of the CMS approved BS. Don't drill down too much. I agree with what Rabbi stated earlier, sans the SOA's. The senior center should/will have a list of who is attending. Let them know that you are available for follow up visits, for any individuals who want to discuss it further. Based on your relationship with the Marketing Director at the Senior Center, they may assist you in getting those meetings, and possibly meetings with the families as well. Have your cards with you, but pass them out ONLY IF ASKED FOR.

You're there to inform, not sell.

Back