Medicare Questions & Answers Thread . . .

In the marketing rules it states that you have to submit your event with the plan and cms. You can only talk about that one plan.

If you are discussing MAPD, Your choices are to talk in general Medicare advantage terms. No plan specifics. Take appointments at the seminar to see them at a later date to talk plan specifics.
Or you can pick the best plan in your opinion and talk about that one in the seminar. Make sure you read the summary of benefits from front to end. You'll probably be shopped.
Get numbers from people who want to talk about other plans.

I haven't taken AHIP (or sell MAPD), but I don't think you get the point of seminar selling.

The point of a seminar is to be brilliant. You talk about Medicare. Supps. Advantage. Part D. The "gotchas" that will bite them later. You never, ever mention a company name. Its informational only.

Because you are so brilliant, the attendees fill out a survey card and agree to be contacted later. EVERY SINGLE ONE gets a call or email within 24 hours. If they aren't within 6 months of T65, you follow up with them at 64.5. You bring them in one on one and sell them a Supp/D or MAPD. Whichever fits them the best.

Stop worrying about what company to sell. This isn't brain surgery and you ARE going to catch on. Selling and understanding insurance isn't that hard.

Getting in front of enough people and closing the deal is what counts.

(And BTW, you obviously have the ability to take a hit and stand back up. Which is a great attribute in sales. Hang in there!)

In the marketing rules it states that you have to submit your event with the plan and cms. You can only talk about that one plan.

If you are discussing MAPD, Your choices are to talk in general Medicare advantage terms. No plan specifics. Take appointments at the seminar to see them at a later date to talk plan specifics.
Or you can pick the best plan in your opinion and talk about that one in the seminar. Make sure you read the summary of benefits from front to end. You'll probably be shopped.
Get numbers from people who want to talk about other plans.

Chazm - thanks for replying.

In your red above - I can't find that anywhere. Could you share your source? I'm really curious because in my red below - it mentions "a plan or limited set of plans" - the plans being plural?

In your green above - that seems to be an Educational / Informational event. In my green below - it says "specific" information can be discussed and "collect applications" - which I assume to be sales?

In the Medicare Guidelines it says:

Marketing/sales events and appointments are designed to steer, or attempt to steer, potential enrollees toward a plan or limited set of plans. At marketing/sales events and appointments, plan representatives may discuss plan specific information and collect applications.

Thanks for the suggestions . . .

----------

I haven't taken AHIP (or sell MAPD), but I don't think you get the point of seminar selling.

The point of a seminar is to be brilliant. You talk about Medicare. Supps. Advantage. Part D. The "gotchas" that will bite them later. You never, ever mention a company name. Its informational only.

Because you are so brilliant, the attendees fill out a survey card and agree to be contacted later. EVERY SINGLE ONE gets a call or email within 24 hours. If they aren't within 6 months of T65, you follow up with them at 64.5. You bring them in one on one and sell them a Supp/D or MAPD. Whichever fits them the best.

Stop worrying about what company to sell. This isn't brain surgery and you ARE going to catch on. Selling and understanding insurance isn't that hard.

Getting in front of enough people and closing the deal is what counts.

(And BTW, you obviously have the ability to take a hit and stand back up. Which is a great attribute in sales. Hang in there!)

Thanks Mom!

( that sounded weird )
:)

Chazm - thanks for replying.

In your red above - I can't find that anywhere. Could you share your source? I'm really curious because in my red below - it mentions "a plan or limited set of plans" - the plans being plural?

In your green above - that seems to be an Educational / Informational event. In my green below - it says "specific" information can be discussed and "collect applications" - which I assume to be sales?

In the Medicare Guidelines it says:

Marketing/sales events and appointments are designed to steer, or attempt to steer, potential enrollees toward a plan or limited set of plans. At marketing/sales events and appointments, plan representatives may discuss plan specific information and collect applications.

Thanks for the suggestions . . .

----------

Thanks Mom!

( that sounded weird )
:)

Call any mapd company and they will confirm it for you.
It may say you can talk about a limited number of plans but you can't talk about a limited number of companies. Two completely different things.

I would strongly advise against trying to complete an educational event, it's an easy way to get in trouble. What I was saying is you have two options, keep it generic like KGmom explained and you can collect clients info and contact for follow up appts. Or pick one good plan to discuss.

It's the rules. Just pick up the phone and call.

The hard part is actually getting anyone to show. I've probably done 20 or so seminars.

Call any mapd company and they will confirm it for you.
It may say you can talk about a limited number of plans but you can't talk about a limited number of companies. Two completely different things.

I would strongly advise against trying to complete an educational event, it's an easy way to get in trouble. What I was saying is you have two options, keep it generic like KGmom explained and you can collect clients info and contact for follow up appts. Or pick one good plan to discuss.

It's the rules. Just pick up the phone and call.

The hard part is actually getting anyone to show. I've probably done 20 or so seminars.

He's never been talking about an educational event. He's been talking about Marketing/Sales Events since his original post.

He's never been talking about an educational event. He's been talking about Marketing/Sales Events since his original post.

He said what I was referring to was an educational event. I was not referring to one because he should ask for contact info.
Then I realized he should make sure he doesn't try to do a ed event.

He said what I was referring to was an educational event. I was not referring to one because he should ask for contact info.
Then I realized he should make sure he doesn't try to do a ed event.

He's asking 2 simple questions.

1. If he puts on a Marketing/Sales event on his own dime...can he represent more than one carrier at that event?

2. At the end of the Marketing/Sales event, can he take applications?

I haven't sold MA for 7 years, and never did an event of any kind, so I'm no expert. I'd think the answers would be 1.Yes and 2.No.

Well - Todd you can't say that I didn't try . . .

I understand. Don't give up though. You can only control yourself and no one else.

Now, I did find this on one of Aetna/Coventry's CMS rules breakdown....

DO NOT compare Aetna or Coventry to another organization or plan by name without first obtaining written consent from all organizations or plans being compared; must provide this written consent to us for submission to CMS - MMG, Section 40.4

The way I read this is that you can talk about multiple companies. As usual you have to report the Marketing Event to each company being represented. One thing though, each company wants you to use their specific and approved marketing materials. Doing multiple companies may not be in your best interest anyway. I never found the 1st thing that stated you couldn't represent multiple companies at a Marketing Event, but it doesn't mean that I'm correct about it.

Back