Medicare Savings Program Eligibility Trump Part B Late Enrollment Penalty?

yorkriver1

Guru
1000 Post Club
Virginia
Can't seem to locate prior posts about this. Prospect has received letter of eligibility for LIS, now going for MSP, which will most likely be QI, pay for Part B premium. I thought I read that Part B eligibility is instated without penalty if the prospect becomes eligible for a Part B premium subsidy under MSP.
No penalty for late Part D under LIS, so far so good, but prospect missed Part B enrollment due to no one at HC.gov advising to drop out of subsidized plan at T65 which was beyond 3 months of prospect birthday when the issue came up. Hey, on the surface $35/mo beats $104.90, what could go wrong? Until the letter came about the plan being discontinued in this market for 2015. That's when prospect found me. I told prospect to apply for Part B, stat.
Social Security gave the Part B penalty download upon enrollment request.

This past week, a worker in one of the county organizations told prospect to go back to HC.gov and re-enroll until Part B is active. After all I said about this, now propect wanted to do what the county said.
I almost lost it when told this. It says right on HC.gov site:
"It’s against the law for someone who knows that you have Medicare to sell or issue you a Marketplace policy. This is true even if you have only Medicare Part A or only Part B."
Part A eligibility is the key here, which is the Medicare term for "you have it automatically at T65 if receiving SS checks". I was a little "You could be living in a van down by the river" intense for a minute. How to explain quickly and politely that the nice folks at the county are not spending weeks and years getting very specific Medicare required training before giving such helpful advice.
My compassion wears thin under open enrollment pressure, I guess.

Can't seem to locate prior posts about this. Prospect has received letter of eligibility for LIS, now going for MSP, which will most likely be QI, pay for Part B premium. I thought I read that Part B eligibility is instated without penalty if the prospect becomes eligible for a Part B premium subsidy under MSP.
No penalty for late Part D under LIS, so far so good, but prospect missed Part B enrollment due to no one at HC.gov advising to drop out of subsidized plan at T65 which was beyond 3 months of prospect birthday when the issue came up. Hey, on the surface $35/mo beats $104.90, what could go wrong? Until the letter came about the plan being discontinued in this market for 2015. That's when prospect found me. I told prospect to apply for Part B, stat.
Social Security gave the Part B penalty download upon enrollment request.

This past week, a worker in one of the county organizations told prospect to go back to HC.gov and re-enroll until Part B is active. After all I said about this, now propect wanted to do what the county said.
I almost lost it when told this. It says right on HC.gov site:
"It’s against the law for someone who knows that you have Medicare to sell or issue you a Marketplace policy. This is true even if you have only Medicare Part A or only Part B."
Part A eligibility is the key here, which is the Medicare term for "you have it automatically at T65 if receiving SS checks". I was a little "You could be living in a van down by the river" intense for a minute. How to explain quickly and politely that the nice folks at the county are not spending weeks and years getting very specific Medicare required training before giving such helpful advice.
My compassion wears thin under open enrollment pressure, I guess.

Even the ones who are trained can be clueless. I had a SHINE rep tell someone that he could switch back and forth between Med Supps as much as he wanted with no issues at all.

Does anyone know this about Medicare Savings Program eligibility for QI, which takes care of Medicare B premiums, does eligibility for QI:
1. creates SEP for Medicare B 2. removes Part B late enrollment penalty.

And, yes, well meaning advisors can get things a bit mixed up.

Back