Medicare Supplement and No Part B

Sal15

Expert
I signed a lady up about 6 months ago who was coming off her employers insurance and I put her on a Med Supp. She showed me her Medicare card which showed she had both Part A & B. Unbeknownst to her, her Part B was cancelled about 15 years ago and she doesn't remember ever getting a new Medicare card that reflected that. She thinks her ex-husband might have cancelled her part B.

Luckily we were able to get her back on her employer plan, but the Med Supp company refuses to pay back the 6 months of premium for the Med Supp which was obviously useless to her.

Curious if anyone has any thoughts on how she can get her premium returned or is she SOL? Thanks.

The insurance company is right. She was insured during that time. If she would of been hospitalized, the Part A would have been paid and she would of owed 80% for B

I'm wondering how she can get back on Part B or will that be a giant PITA?

Will she have penalties etc.

Anyone without Part B that is eligible for Part B can sign up during the General Enrollment Period which runs Jan 1-Mar 31. Part B effective date will be July 1. Penalties will apply, I believe it is 10% per year for Part B.

Anyone without Part B that is eligible for Part B can sign up during the General Enrollment Period which runs Jan 1-Mar 31. Part B effective date will be July 1. Penalties will apply, I believe it is 10% per year for Part B.

:D - Sadly I knew that. I need to take a refresher course on Medicare. I just don't deal with it on a day to day basis anymore.

If she is currently covered under group as an active employee, she doesn't have to wait for GEP to enroll in B, she can do it at any time.

Back