Medicare Supplement Carrier Misled Consumers

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
The insurance division said the Pennsylvania company’s mailings falsely said that Congress had reduced Medicare benefits. The mailings also said in all-capital letters that one version of Medicare supplement insurance, “Plan F,” was being discontinued in 2020, but the mailings didn’t note that people already in that plan would be allowed to keep it, regulators alleged.

Doctor listings often wrong in Medicare advantage directory | Chicago Sun-Times

The insurance division said the Pennsylvania company’s mailings falsely said that Congress had reduced Medicare benefits. The mailings also said in all-capital letters that one version of Medicare supplement insurance, “Plan F,” was being discontinued in 2020, but the mailings didn’t note that people already in that plan would be allowed to keep it, regulators alleged.

Doctor listings often wrong in Medicare advantage directory | Chicago Sun-Times

Any chance the quote is from a different article?

As far as the article goes, there is NO WAY, NONE, ZERO, NADA that provider directories are going to be 100%.

Doctors move addresses and don't inform the 50 carriers that they are contracted with.

Doctor A moves from Office A to Office B. Office A is pissed and doesn't inform the carriers.

Contracts terminate on the last day of the month, but no one enters it in IT.

Doc Smith dies, but his IPA doesn't inform the carrier.

It goes on and on. And a sample of 108 docs producing more than 50% errors doesn't surprise me at all.

Call the doc. The directories are wrong. NEXT.

Possibly.

Had too many tabs open and not enough coffee.

Try this link.

Medicare supplement letters allegedly misled Iowa seniors

The other link is about this story.

Incorrect information was found for almost half of the 5,832 doctors listed in directories for 54 Medicare Advantage plans checked last fall, they said. Only online directories were examined.

The government hopes that a new rule this year will help raise that bar because it requires Medicare Advantage plans to contact doctors and other providers every three months and update their online directories in “real time.

This old man needs more than 6 hours sleep to operate effectively.

Possibly.

Try this link.

Incorrect information was found for almost half of the 5,832 doctors listed in directories for 54 Medicare Advantage plans checked last fall, they said. Only online directories were examined.

I'm young and need more than 8 hours. And 4 cups of coffee, too ;)

Senior Direct is Kramer. Uh oh........

Possibly.

Try this link.

Seems like all the BRC direct mail houses have similar wording.

Do you think litigation would ever extend to the agent buying these leads too?

Also, the article said they may lose their permit to market in Iowa.

I didn't know you needed a permit to market in Iowa.

Are they talking about revoking their business reply mail permit number?

Seems like all the BRC direct mail houses have similar wording.

Do you think litigation would ever extend to the agent buying these leads too?

Also, the article said they may lose their permit to market in Iowa.

I didn't know you needed a permit to market in Iowa.

Are they talking about revoking their business reply mail permit number?

Who is the Stillwell Agency? Are they not agent/agency?

There are a lot of agents using the scare tactic that people need to get to a G Plan now before the F goes away in 2020. Even the Area Agency on Aging type places are telling new enrollees this. The F Plan is not going away for current clients. I understand the argument that the F plan will go up faster with no new people going on it after 2020 but it is no different than these companies that close a block of business every 2 years and people who are unhealthy get stuck on it.

I understand the argument that the F plan will go up faster with no new people going on it after 2020 but it is no different than these companies that close a block of business every 2 years and people who are unhealthy get stuck on it.

Then you agree that closing F to new enrollees is the same as Mutual of Omaha routinely rolling out a "new" carrier while closing new entrants in the old plan and charging those people higher rates.

Yes, I agree it will be about the same. Companies will also be able to still offer the F Plan to people Grandfathered in so they can start a new block of business and pick the healthy people just like they do now. Just won't have the new T-65 joining their plans. I also think Medicare Advantage will take off even more as they keep raising the Part B deductible higher and higher each year.

The fact remains that in almost every analysis the lowest costing Plan F is still a better econimic value than the lowest costing Plan G while factoring in the annual Part B deductible. Also, as the insurance companies email out the rate increasses throughout the year, in many of the increases I notice the plan F goes up at a higher rate than the Plan G.

I cant imagine any agent who feels in their heart of hearts they are doing right by the client, advising them to buy a Plan F when they know that no new younger people will be coming into the policy 2020 and anyone who is healthy, and has a GOOD AGENT, are being motivated to get out of an F and get into a G.

I have determined the ONLY reason an agent is recomended a Plan F to their clients (other than in a guranatee issue situation) is to pad their commission.

The marketing materials were created in bad taste to "scare" prospoects into buying. Not cool. Yes they should be sanctioned. But let's be real.....We all know Plan F is a no bueno when a G is available and econimically better.

Back