Medicare Supplement Conf

Even though this was an old post appreciate you mentioning the conference. I live in KC and new to Sups so look forward to attending the free Monday to check it out. Free day is on April 25th in 2016 at Westin here in KC. Thanks!

Are there ever any videos or recorded webinars from presentations that agents can watch after the conference if they're unable to attend? Are there any available from past years? Seems like I remember doing a quick search for past conferences and not finding anything.

I have an idea, win a convention and hang out with the big boys and now you have tips that actually work.

You really think the "convention" is for you.

4 reasons.

They contract you.
They get your entrance fee.
They sell you a book, subscription etc.
They sell you leads.

Or a combination

Are there ever any videos or recorded webinars from presentations that agents can watch after the conference if they're unable to attend? Are there any available from past years? Seems like I remember doing a quick search for past conferences and not finding anything.

I posed your question to Jesse Slome who runs the conference as I know he's done something like this before. He confirmed the Association records and makes conference sessions available. From Jesse:

2014: Here is a link where you can access info on the 2014 event with a significant savings offer.
http://www.fleetwoodonsite.com/ppSD2/catalog.php?id=19
(Brian, this was the lowest price we offered … $19 for the agent day)

2015: Yes. Sessions will be recorded and available after the event. Info will be posted on the Association’s website about 3 weeks after the event (so mid-May).

I'm still kicking the tires about going. There are some good topics on their I'd like to sit in on.

I'd just drive up every day, it is only a tad over an hour for me.

Hey CJ, Im not seeing any info on a 5K, can you post a link?

First of all:

"You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 20 posts or more.
To be able to post links or images your post count must be 20 or greater. You currently have 16 posts."

:nah::nah:

so here's the link to the sign up:

events.genre(DOT COM)/gen-res-fun-run-walk-during-the-2016-medicare-supplement-conference

obviously replace the dot com since the forums are regulating my free speech!

Here's the email they sent out on it!

"Join Us for the Gen Re Fun/Run Walk Benefiting Harvesters
Tuesday, April 26, 2016
6:30 am

Gen Re is proud to host our second annual Fun Run/Walk at the upcoming 2016 Medicare Supplement Conference. We hope you'll join us and in doing so, help a worthy local cause!
This year’s event will benefit the Kansas City chapter of Harvester’s, a nonprofit organization dedicated to feeding hungry people today and ending hunger tomorrow.

To register, RSVP here. The first 25 registrants will also be guaranteed a t-shirt!

Details:

The group will depart from the hotel at 6:30 a.m. and will do an informal 5k run or walk at a comfortable pace around the surrounding area. Refreshments will be available. All participants are encouraged to make a donation in honor of Harvesters. Cash or checks will be accepted."

Looks pretty unorganized and informal so my excitement is tempered. :nah:

I've been here in Kansas City since Saturday with my wife and our 10 year old son. Honestly didn't know what to expect of the area, especially driving in Saturday afternoon. The town was DEAD. I mean, no one walking anywhere in parts of town on our way in, or even as we got close to the hotel. It was strange, but a very nice town.

Turns out the place is actually awesome, but still not crowded which is actually a good thing. We home school my son so every trip I take for business or otherwise gets extended for home school activities and learning. This place does not disappoint! Fantastic World War 1 museum, the Federal Reserve museum, an amazing Leonardo Da Vinci traveling exhibit at Union Station, all within walking distance. Not sure if they're having it here next year (I'd personally prefer a different city to go check out) but the place really is fantastic.

And, although I hang my hat in Texas, the BBQ here is the absolute BEST I've ever had in my life. UNREAL.

As for the conference, well walking through the hotel on Saturday afternoon and the first people I run into are Chris and CJ Westfall. Naturally videos were involved, and although Chris and I have exchanged many messages and talked on the phone for a few hours, I've never had the chance to meet him. Chris has been posting videos regularly on his agent training website of the free day, including both his and CJ's presentation.

Speaking of which, first up was CJ and he absolutely knocked it out of the park. He's a chip off the old block from his Dad, and just an all-around awesome guy. You never know what you'll get after reading people's posts on the forum, but CJ is definitely the real deal and he's going to go very far in this industry and I'd guess anything else he puts his mind to. Really enjoyed hanging out with him.

Chris was later in the afternoon and seriously took the show. Just an awesome presentation. I do full-time internet marketing myself for Med supps and I even learned things. You can tell the man has a massive passion to help others, not just Seniors but other agents. Today was the first "real" day of the conference, and I still say he had the best presentation so far.

As for the others, you got to choose between 3 breakout sessions each lasting a little over an hour. For the first session I chose the "Medicare Supp Sales Technology", which unfortunately was a bust for myself and my cohorts who attended. Let's just say there was a lot of cell phone time. Next was "What we've learned about Medigap Policy holders" from AARP guys. Very informative, you could tell these guys could have gone on for hours. They had some very interesting stats.

After that I chose to attend the Federal and State updates session with Dotti Outland who is the Senior Director of reg Affairs with UHC. I think she said she's been in the Medicare business for almost 40 years and you could tell. She went into depth on what has definitely been the hot topic of the conference which is the Two Midnight rule regarding observation periods in the hospital, and Part B not covering meds during this time. That along with what she thought is really going to happen in 2020 and that she doesn't anticipate massive rate increases on Plan F. Time will tell though. :yes:

Also discussed often are rising Medicare premiums and deductibles in the future, along with Plan G and D which will become GI in 2020. The changes in 2020 are a big topic, but of course we're not being bombarded by concrete answers. My best recommendation is to put the hammer down, build you book like crazy, and worry about it later.

Lastly I attended the Looking ahead to 2020 from CSG Actuarial. This was presented by actuaries, so you'd better love data for these sessions. The presentation was very well delivered, but mostly contained the numbers of people turning 65 over the years. Again no real concrete data on 2020 other than that Plan F will still be available to anyone who had Part B prior, but not available to anyone aging in. The gentleman in my group (myself included) deduced that this new "law" was likely pushed more by the insurance carriers than the government, but who knows. :biggrin:

I did talk at length to the Cigna guys, and you may have heard that Cigna is having pretty good rate reductions in several states. They're also rolling out a new division called CHILIC (Cigna Health...something) in many states, including Texas for 9/1. Expect some VERY hot rates, though the Silver and Fit program is not included with this unfortunately.

Really looking for tomorrow's sessions along with some private sessions I have with different individuals. All in all this conference is a HUGE win, I'll always attend each year. Awesome to meet up with a bunch of old friends, and also make many new ones. I'm not a "networking" kind of guy as I'm typically bored to tears and it's usually someone trying to sell me on whatever they have, so I don't stay long at the dinners. I'd rather work or hang out with my family than be with a bunch of loud, drunk insurance agents so I can't comment on the nighttime activities. There are many sponsored meetings at restaurants from various FMO's if you do business through them, but none of mine are here.

BTW, the conference is very large, I heard 600 people here and it looks every bit of it. I'd guess next year would be even bigger. I definitely recommend it, but keep in mind there's nothing at all (so far) Earth shattering in information regarding getting leads, effective marketing (Beyond Westfall who only had 20 minutes to talk), or even sales techniques. I didn't personally need any of these, but for a new agent thinking this conference will help them kick start their business, it's really not that type of show. I would say the connections you can make here would likely make it worth it though.

But, it's only Day 1. There's a session tomorrow entitled "Turn Your spare bedroom into a half-million dollar sales generator", which is the only description I saw of a session that was even close to covering these things. I'm going to attend that one, but as of right now I'm not sure a newbie would get a whole lot out of the actual sessions in terms of "take home and apply immediately" information. There just hasn't been any of that.

So hope this helps anyone who didn't attend. The sessions will be online in 3 weeks according the organizer. If anyone is interested I can report after tomorrow.

Back