Medicare Supplement Sales

I don't doubt you, I know nothing about being captive and it was a serious question. We need a "no sarcasm intended" emoticon.

My bad .Yes I would say from personal experience that a captive stint at Humana is the best launching pad or relaunching pad in my case to a a book of business as an independent medicare plan agent.

Humana will do all that for you, and let you take the book? That's amazing, new agents would absolutely be wise to do this.

I can tell you in GA they offer a 24k base plus a 12 month ramp up 12k, plus mileage, all the MA you can work(going to be on the road) 180 commissions $5 renewals starting month 3, no charge backs after 3 months but they also don't pay you until 3 months, offer benefits health, GI life up to 500k, short term/long term disability, GI LTC only at hire, will match 125% of 6% of all earnings in 401k...

But no they aren't giving anyone access to their clients if they leave. It is a JOB, but for some it would be a great job.

I can tell you in GA they offer a 24k base plus a 12 month ramp up 12k, plus mileage, all the MA you can work(going to be on the road) 180 commissions $5 renewals starting month 3, no charge backs after 3 months but they also don't pay you until 3 months, offer benefits health, GI life up to 500k, short term/long term disability, GI LTC only at hire, will match 125% of 6% of all earnings in 401k...

But no they aren't giving anyone access to their clients if they leave. It is a JOB, but for some it would be a great job.

That's not bad at all. If I were new to the biz I would jump at the opportunity. Do they give you free leads too? If so, it's just that much better. It would be tough to ever make 200k but 100k after 4 years would be doable and the benefits.

Yes, they provide leads.

The most difficult task for an independent agent is marketing(getting in front of or an audience with enough prospects). To do that we have to do something that pains us... we give up money(buying leads) or we give up time(web marketing, cold calling, etc.). We don't like it because we have to give up something that is valuable to us, money or time..

I have seen close to a dozen guys AOR or roll their whole book away after being a captive agent. It is done all the time. That being said,I wish I had started captive with them in 2009 when I started selling Medicare. My book would be triple the size it is.

Last edited:
I can vouch for that. The key is to make sure you are able to be appointed as a "delegated agent" once you resign as a Marketpoint/career agent. The AOR process is no different for former Humana career agents than it is for any other broker. Get the letter signed by the member requesting that you are their AOR.

Latest posts

Back