Medicare Supplement Underwriting ?

Ok, so I had a client recently declined and the carrier said it was for "information received in the phone interview". Maybe it's carrier-specific, but will they automatically send something to the applicant letting them know why they were turned down? Do they have to request it in writing first? At this point I can only guess what the issue was and really don't know which carrier to try next. How do you guys usually proceed?

In general, do you guys always discuss the case with an underwriter of the carrier you're using before submitting the app, or just do it and hope for the best and then just use the next company if they're declined? 90%+ of my business so far has been T65, but obviously more and more will be underwritten as time goes on and my book needs to be flipped. Most of the time when a client is declined with one carrier another will take them, but even when this happens it creates more headaches and wasted time than seems necessary.

I usually start with what I call the big 6- Cancer, Heart Attack, Stroke, Diabetes, COPD and do they have anything pending, like surgery for example. Next follow up question is what meds they are taking. Based on that and the current company they use, I then run quotes and go with cheapest med supp carrier that we can qualify for. So, I make my pitch on that carrier and go from there. I also have all the underwriting guides for all my carriers in a folder on my desktop, to check the meds again. If I run into something I can't clarify in a guide, I call an underwriter. You don't want to just submit apps randomly because you're just wasting time and declines look bad. Learn the health questions- cheat sheets, etc.

Have a client who takes Hydrocodone 5mg Acetaminophen 325mg for occassional back pain.. She said she only takes 1 or 2 times a month and has been on that for 5 years. She is healthy other than that. no surgeries needed. is 69 years old. Will Cigna decline her for a med supplement. she is not open enrollment or GI.

Thank you

Have a client who takes Hydrocodone 5mg Acetaminophen 325mg for occassional back pain.. She said she only takes 1 or 2 times a month and has been on that for 5 years. She is healthy other than that. no surgeries needed. is 69 years old. Will Cigna decline her for a med supplement. she is not open enrollment or GI.

Thank you
Neither drug is on their KO list. Call Cigna tomorrow and ask them. Should be ok. Also, like Devin said, Bankers Fidelity should take that.

Called Cigna and they wont take Hydrocodone if on long term...client has osteoarthritis and takes 3 pills a day of it..anyone else but bankers?

Back