Medigap Non-tobacco Rate

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
I know a few carriers will bill a non-tob rate (for tobacco users) to those aging into Medicare. Starting to look at adding a few Medigap carriers so I would like to know which ones will give you an NT rate.

Is the rate only good for the first year or the life of the policy?

I know a few carriers will bill a non-tob rate (for tobacco users) to those aging into Medicare. Starting to look at adding a few Medigap carriers so I would like to know which ones will give you an NT rate.

From my understanding, thats not just some medigap carriers....ALL do that, dont they since they cant ask medical questions?

Or am I wrong on this?

Once the company gives the non tobacco rate, they'll keep it as long as they stay with that company.

Some states require that T-65s get the non tobacco rate, mine is one that does. I guess you just have to look that up in the UW guides when you're researching the company.

If you have any particular companies you're looking at, I might have the UW guide and can check for you. I know you've got Manhattan...thay have a chart in their UW guide that shows most of the states.

Last edited:
Definitely Aetna. CSG is pretty accurate with that as well I think, so you can always check/uncheck tob to see if it changes. Varying by state makes it tricky to always have an answer on it off the top of your head.

Just found out today (don't know why it took me so long) but New Era (prior to Oct 2015) would give you a NT rate for the first year only. At renewal you got the usual increase plus a bump to tobacco rate.

Aetna does give NT rates but for how long?

MOO charges tobacco rate regardless of aging in.

Haven't written anything in a while with MLIC and don't recall what they do. Quick search of the und guide didn't turn up an answer.

I am told BFLIC will give a NT rate when applying at open enrollment but don't have all their info yet. Also don't know if it is for a year or the life of the policy.

And yes, it is a state by state thing. Just trying to get an idea from those that write in multiple states about carrier differences where they can charge a tob rates.

Also curious as to which carriers allow you to keep the NT rate for the life of the policy.

Found out BFLIC is for the life of the policy. I swear I thought New Era was too but turns out that is something new.

I had New Era in GA add the tobacco rate back after 12 months to a client recently, which I thought was odd.

Back