Medigap with Pre-Ex Waiting Period

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
New Era companies now imposing p-x waiting periods on IEP apps where the applicant did not have prior creditable health insurance. Per memo, this will be applied in 18 states where permitted.

Also cracking down on misstatements on the application including omission of tobacco use.

This is not necessarily a bad thing. If carriers are lax they will get burned.

Most of my T65 have prior coverage, but submitted an application to them for a January effective date and had to pull it when I got the memo. Placing with Anthem, no pre-ex clause.

Which Medigap carriers apply pre-ex and is it state specific?

New Era companies now imposing p-x waiting periods on IEP apps where the applicant did not have prior creditable health insurance. Per memo, this will be applied in 18 states where permitted.

Also cracking down on misstatements on the application including omission of tobacco use.

This is not necessarily a bad thing. If carriers are lax they will get burned.

Most of my T65 have prior coverage, but submitted an application to them for a January effective date and had to pull it when I got the memo. Placing with Anthem, no pre-ex clause.

Which Medigap carriers apply pre-ex and is it state specific?
You can add Cigna and Prosperity to that list.

I’ve never seen this in Florida. UHC, humana, etc don’t do that. But I’m not sure if you mean OEP or what

I’ve never seen this in Florida. UHC, humana, etc don’t do that. But I’m not sure if you mean OEP or what

My question was regarding IEP, when folks who could not afford Obamacare have gone without coverage.

Actually, many of those T65 have STM, some kind of indemnity plan or HCSM . . . none are considered creditable coverage. But I doubt the Medigap carriers know the difference.

I would presume most if not all folks applying during OEP would have prior coverage.
Medicare Open Enrollment Period (OEP) is Back for 2019

IEP, AEP, OEP . . . CMS should make up their mind. Too many TLE's.

Humana, Transamerica and Cigna agent guides only state the pre existing clause is not applicable in "guarantee issue" they say nothing about open enrollment.

Back