Meeting W/ Potentially My 1st FMO. Suggestions?

Mick_Keyou

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I have a meeting with an FMO this Friday. This is my first contact ever with an FMO. Any suggestions on what I should discuss or ask during my meeting?

My friend who is with this FMO set it up so I can meet with the director/owner and discuss my goals and what I want to do.
I'm anxious due to all of the information on this forum about good/bad fmos. I want to be prepared as best as I can.

2 main questions to ask:

Are commissions assigned to the agency or direct to you? (you want direct to you)
What is their release policy? (they should have it in writing)

And for you...

What are your expectations from the FMO? Are you wanting training? Leads? Support? Combination there of?

Make sure you are not taking a cut in commission for leads, or I should say too bad of a cut. If they give you leads, most of the time it comes with a cut in commission. A simple 5% cut in commission can add up down the road once you are up and running.

I've yet to see a FMO that does more than send out a birthday card once per year.
Could just be me. I'm sure there must be a good FMO out there.

Last edited:
Any suggestions on what I should discuss or ask during my meeting?
Here's the problem...

It seems like you're at the "don't know what I don't know" stage (nothing wrong with it) - and you're planning to go independent?

Do yourself a favor. Get a captive job, or find a place where you can learn the biz for a year or two. You'll be in a much better position for success in the long haul. There's a reason why the failure/washout rate in this biz is 95%.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Moonlight, I understand what you're saying and agree with you. I have the year or two plan. I'm in a position to do this slowly and at my own pace so I want to go the independent route. I have friends that are in the business that can mentor me as well.

A little background on me. I'm a speech pathologist with my own private practice that allows me to be flexible with my schedule. My goal is to learn about the the senior market without rushing. I want to do this the right way. I'm looking (hoping) to transition to this full time whenever that time comes.

Am I not independent with an FMO? It seems like I read conflicting information on this.

Last edited:
Chazm, that's who I'm meeting with on Friday. Any advice or feedback before tomorrow? I'm most concerned about the contract language due to reading all of the FMO topics.

Just Like your clients its a Relationship your FMO should be more like a team - An asset to your bussisness - Main Concerns are always Commisions and Release Policies. Shop wisely and find the marketer that brings the most to the table!

Chazm, that's who I'm meeting with on Friday. Any advice or feedback before tomorrow? I'm most concerned about the contract language due to reading all of the FMO topics.

What contract language are you worried about?

Back