Meeting W/ T65 Prospect who Spends Several Months in Mexico

beachbum2012

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I'll be meeting with a referral next week who spends several months of the year living in Cozumel. He spends the majority of the year here in Michigan though. I know the medigaps offer limited coverage out of the country ($250 ded, 80/20 coverage up to $50k coverage). What MAPDs cover out of the country always seems to be fuzzy though. BCBS and Humana will say they'll cover you abroad at least for emergency, and possibly even as in-network at certain providers. But do MAPDs typically cover routine doctor visits and medical treatment in other countries? The guy is managing at least one chronic health condition which makes medigap a better fit, but maybe not if his coverage abroad would be better with an MAPD. Anyone have any experience here?

I'll be meeting with a referral next week who spends several months of the year living in Cozumel. He spends the majority of the year here in Michigan though. I know the medigaps offer limited coverage out of the country ($250 ded, 80/20 coverage up to $50k coverage). What MAPDs cover out of the country always seems to be fuzzy though. BCBS and Humana will say they'll cover you abroad at least for emergency, and possibly even as in-network at certain providers. But do MAPDs typically cover routine doctor visits and medical treatment in other countries? The guy is managing at least one chronic health condition which makes medigap a better fit, but maybe not if his coverage abroad would be better with an MAPD. Anyone have any experience here?
A Medicare Advantage plan will only cover emergency care outside the country, if it covers at all. If he chose a Medigap, keep in mind that foreign travel coverage only extends to the first 60 days of the trip.

Anyone that travels outside the country should purchase an international travel medical plan. They are inexpensive and do exactly what they are supposed to do.

Back