Mega/Healthmarkets Agents Selling Golden Rule???

Drinking the Kool-Aid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quick question. I have always wondered. Did the term "kool-aid" (used in this manner) come from the Jim Jones fiasco?

I assume so.

WebNanny was not used in this post
WebHow was used in this post

The term has its origins in the events of the Jonestown cult suicide. Jim Jones, the leader of the Peoples Temple, had persuaded followers to move to Jonestown, Guyana and found a commune. In November of 1978, faced with exposure, he had congressman Leo Ryan killed and ordered the residents to commit suicide by drinking a flavored beverage laced with potassium cyanide. Those unable to comply, such as infants, and those unwilling to comply received involuntary injections. Roughly 918 people died.
Present-day descriptions of the event often refer to the beverage, not as Kool Aid, but as Flavor Aid,[4] a less-expensive product reportedly found at the site.[5] Kraft Foods, the maker of Kool Aid, has stated the same.[6][7] Implied by this accounting of events is that the reference to the "Kool Aid" brand owes exclusively to its being better-known among Americans. Others are less categorical.[4] Both brands are known to have been among the commune's supplies: Film footage shot inside the compound prior to the events of November shows Jones opening a large chest in which boxes of both Flavor Aid and Kool-Aid are visible.[8] Criminal investigators testifying at the Jonestown inquest spoke of finding packets of "cool aid" [sic; the error is presumably that of the stenographer], and eyewitnesses to the incident are also recorded as speaking of "cool aid" or "Cool Aid."[9] However, it is unclear whether they intended to refer to the actual Kool-Aid–brand drink or were using the name in a generic sense that might refer to any powdered flavored beverage.

I think I mentioned that I went to a recruiting meeting for Health Markets Insphere. At the meeting I went to they knew I was already licensed (even though a health ins noob) and there was some talk by the recruiter that they would get a lot of health brokers to appoint through them because they were gonna pay "30%" No mention of the brokers having to become captive or which companies would pay the 30% at my meeting but it was mentioned. They pushed the Blackrock angle of BR pumping money into health markets. Then talked about how that was getting them all the contracts with other carriers because of their size of agent force and negotiating power.

Jack

HealthMarkets is now in a position to create the first "good" health insurance captive outfit.

If they align themselves with the top carriers I can see them making a run at it.

Provide real training and support and most agents thrive in that office style environment with bonuses, contests, trips and camaraderie. At least it can be a great way to break into the business.

My issue has always been with the Mega Life products. I was sad to leave UGA.

5 different management levels all want to be "rich" and that stunts real growth. Real growth happens when the word gets out. And that word needs to be that the outfit is fantastic and pays decent commissions.

No advertising will ever match referrals. If you have a bad reputation or unhappy agents you'll wind up spending a ton on marketing money - only to have those potential agents "Google you."

They'll have yet another bite at the apple but it's different this time - it's called the "internet" with social media and blogs. They'll either strive to build a solid reputation or hope to hell their recruits don't have internet access.

Back