Mega Strikes Again NASE/UGA/HEALTHMARKETS

They tend to be 800-1000 for that type of deductible for non-group 35 year old family. Mega/MW for a 5K deductible plan for that demographic is 400-550. That's the Signature plan, not the scheduled plan. If you want the low deductible plans with RX coverage a 35 year old family would be 1400-2000.

Get your facts straight b4 you start talking out your a***. I said a 35 yr. old family. You were the one that talked about a 35 yr old single and how I knew nothing about the marketplace considering you were the one with all your facts screwed up. BC is 800ish for 35 yr old family and Harvard is 1200 for the same. That's pretty ******* close to 800-1000 and UICI plans are 400-550 for the same demographic. The BC and HP plans are low option, hi deductible wrap arounds with no RX coverage. Trust me on this. No one buys wrap arounds up here unless they are in the insurance business and under the concept. Mass is HMO mentality. $5 copays and $10 RX coverage. So these lower price plans that you see are a small percentage of the marketplace.

What happens up here is Mrs Smith goes to work at Macy's for 30 hrs a week for 3 months, gets the benefits and then they Cobra for 18 months. They bitch a complain that the plan costs them 1200-1500 and then they really bitch when Cobra expires and the rates just 30%. Then the cycle starts again.

BTW, somehow your site locked my profile out.

As I stated above, I don't do health unless it's large group. Those individual plans are only available directly from the carrier, not thru brokers or agents. Individual market isn't worth the time, or effort, unless you want to worth for $10 a month per client.

Also, UICI companies don't offer a RX plan in Mass.

My apologies. I thought you were representing yourself to actually know about individual coverage in MA. Noted that you know next to nothing about it.

Sorry, but I'm not gonna allow this Destry guy to come onto the board with the typical Mega Life "everything else is unaffordable" BS.

He stated a male age 35 in MA would be looking at $800 to $1,000 a month while Mega's Signature plan comes in from $440 to $550.

What's he's not stating is that's the exact opposite is true. I pulled up all of the insurance companies available in MA and their rates. That 35 year old male can get coverage through just about any company for LESS than Mega's Signature plan and with far better benefits.

Just takes a little research. Don't want anyone from MA coming onto this board and thinking Mega's actually competitive in MA or that they're the only low-cost alternative. The Blue Cross rate I pulled up for that 35 year old male was under $300 a month.

John,
I agree that it is important that something wrong should be disputed, and you are very well qualified to do so. I also know that the only reason why you would spend your time doing the research, is so that other can benefit.

All I am saying is that we have all posted wrong information at some point in out forum careers, and a little barb at the end of a critique, even a well deserved one, can make the difference between someone who admits they were wrong, and goes on to make positive contributions and someone who doesn't.

And sometimes, like when I was a Mega Agent and started posting on the old board, someone has to be brutal and splash cold water on your face. Right Scott?

Mass-guy said:
They tend to be 800-1000 for that type of deductible for non-group 35 year old family. Mega/MW for a 5K deductible plan for that demographic is 400-550. That's the Signature plan, not the scheduled plan. If you want the low deductible plans with RX coverage a 35 year old family would be 1400-2000.

Get your facts straight b4 you start talking out your ass. I said a 35 yr. old family. You were the one that talked about a 35 yr old single and how I knew nothing about the marketplace considering you were the one with all your facts screwed up. BC is 800ish for 35 yr old family and Harvard is 1200 for the same. That's pretty fucking close to 800-1000 and UICI plans are 400-550 for the same demographic. The BC and HP plans are low option, hi deductible wrap arounds with no RX coverage. Trust me on this. No one buys wrap arounds up here unless they are in the insurance business and under the concept. Mass is HMO mentality. $5 copays and $10 RX coverage. So these lower price plans that you see are a small percentage of the marketplace.

What happens up here is Mrs Smith goes to work at Macy's for 30 hrs a week for 3 months, gets the benefits and then they Cobra for 18 months. They bitch a complain that the plan costs them 1200-1500 and then they really bitch when Cobra expires and the rates just 30%. Then the cycle starts again.

BTW, somehow your site locked my profile out.

I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about. I see Mega coming in from $4,000 to $4,600 a month for a 35 year old family. Who knows, maybe the Mass DOI site is wrong:

http://www.mass.gov/Eoca/docs/doi/Consumer/plan06_12_pg6.pdf

I sold Mega Life for about 6 months and I sold Signature. In Maryland, which was not a guaranteed issue state, Signature for a family in their mid-thirties was over $600 per month and that was four years ago. So what you're trying to tell me is Mega can sell Signature guaranteed issue for $600? I'm calling your bluff. Print out a rate for a 35 year old family in MA that comes out under $600 a month and fax it to me at 877-257-8874.

I have a feeling I won't hold my breath waiting for that fax.

First of all, I don't work for Mega/MW so I can't print you a quote sheet. The plans that you see on the DOI site aren't Signature. They are $700 deductible per year and 100% beyond that. That includes Doctors visits, tests, physicals, ER, everything. There might be a small copay for RX, but even that gets waived after a certain number of scripts. I don't know of anyone that has bought it because of the price. But sometimes my clients do wind up with Sig plans or MW PPO that falls into that 400-600 range for a mid 35 yr old family. That plan is a reasonable alternative when compared to HMO rates in Mass.

Wait til that family becomes 40 or 50 or even 60. Then even the low option HMOs become unreasonable in price.

Last night I had drinks with a guy that just sold his business. I've handled all the business and personal insurance for them for about 8 years. Their premium for their health insurance was 1900 per month. They are 58 and 56, no kids. Perfect health, no meds. Now should they consider UICI when they can find 5K hospitalization plan for 600-700? They don't go to the doctor except for the physical. No testing, nothing. If the shit hits the fan on them, they call Blue Cross and get instant coverage.

Back