Yet how can new agent reading this board choose a model when there's such a wide variety of contradictory marketing advice.

For example - you (M&M) never buy shared leads - all local marketing. Then they read Somarco's posts and it's all shared leads.

So what are newbies to do?

Yet how can new agent reading this board choose a model when there's such a wide variety of contradictory marketing advice.

For example - you (M&M) never buy shared leads - all local marketing. Then they read Somarco's posts and it's all shared leads.

So what are newbies to do?

Yes, an excellent point.

somarco and I actually use the same model. Client building as opposed to "sales". The benefits are; they stay longer, refer more, buy more, and cause less problems. It takes longer to develop, but it's much stronger.

We usedifferent marketing methods to find new clients.

Last week, I took a young realtor client of mine to lunch - total tab $18. He commented how I always "stay in touch with him". Unprompted, he thought of three referrals for me that HE suggested he would call, introduce me, and tell them to expect my call.

Three EXCLUSIVE, pre-qualified leads for $6.00 each.

Have already done one, doing another Monday 4/14. Cost to find each new client - $9.00.

Then I go back and help them buy other stuff.

Agree...and disagree.

You need to have a model AND marketing plan to be successful. Those can be individual things.

Newer people can either waste a LOT of time and money in a learning curve, or if they're smart - they'll learn from experienced people who've already made those mistakes...

Now it is my turn to "agree and disagree". :)

Yes there is a lot of good information here that should be very valuable to someone new in the business. However, will what works for you work for me? I doubt it. Does that mean that because I do things differently than you that I am more successful? I seriously doubt that also.

Each individual needs to explore the various ways successful agents work. From the information gathered hopefully a new agent will have the tools necessary to develop a plan that fits their personality and one that works best for them.

The bottom line is that there is always going to be a learning curve for a new agent to find their own unique approach to being successful.

I probably spent the first year in this business making mistakes and learning from them. If this board had been available then, I probably could have cut that time to maybe six or eight months but it would not have reduced that amount of time to say three months.

I have concentrated on doing things differently than most agents and not following what the pack does. I believe that to be a contributing factor to the degree of success I have had.

Yes, an excellent point.

somarco and I actually use the same model. Client building as opposed to "sales". The benefits are; they stay longer, refer more, buy more, and cause less problems. It takes longer to develop, but it's much stronger.

We usedifferent marketing methods to find new clients.

Last week, I took a young realtor client of mine to lunch - total tab $18. He commented how I always "stay in touch with him". Unprompted, he thought of three referrals for me that HE suggested he would call, introduce me, and tell them to expect my call.

Three EXCLUSIVE, pre-qualified leads for $6.00 each.

Have already done one, doing another Monday 4/14. Cost to find each new client - $9.00.

Then I go back and help them buy other stuff.

Well - wasn't that a nicely worded post. But if a new agent called you and asked if they should buy leads or market locally what would you say?

Well - wasn't that a nicely worded post. But if a new agent called you and asked if they should buy leads or market locally what would you say?

Thank you. I'm working on my eloquence.

My problem with buying leads is that it doesn't give you any leverage.

I would invest the dollars locally - but probably not in the way you might think...

So you're with me - market locally. I'm back on shared leads to ascertain results for my members - about a month into. So far it's a short-sighted business plan. It results in "easy" and "lazy" business.

Nothing will replace building a local marketing campaign. Overwhelmingly internet leads are junk. Yes, there's gems and why dig through the crap.

After I've done my homework and mapped out the results it'll be over - back off the leads.

Again....for me. Do they work? Yes. Will you write business? Yes. Is the quality comparable to a local campaign? Absolutely not. But it's not a perfect world. A lot of agents cannot run a local campaign - it's simply not possible.

We also have agents like Jesse who have made a very successful career on shared leads. I don't know many others who stack up against Jesse - hardly anyone I know.

If anyone wants to argue that point then tell me all about your local campaign and why it's failed you.

It really does come down to what works for each Individual, but I will stand by point about the billions of dollars earned by telemarketers in this country; obviously it works.

The reason I feel numerous messages work for me is that I am good on the phone, I can "work" people in a pleasant way and I'm able to leave interesting messages that make me sound human and also different from the pack. This gets me return calls which in turn results in more "deals" and not just sales that bounce as soon as HealthAgent calls them next week! As myself and others have mentioned it's also about the referral which come in much higher numbers through sales made with more time/effort.

When I was with Mega all I heard was that it was about "getting more sales" and that trying to work too long on one prospect, etc was a waste and of course there is some truth in that. However I always had one of the best renewal accounts around because I sold the strongest of the admittedly weak product line, I sought and obtained a ton of referrals (which don't drop as quick) and I made my customers feel like I would pick up the phone if they called (though strangely, as weak as Mega plans were they hardly ever called!).

Use whatever business model works for you, and as HealthAgent said there is no "wrong" way to do it (as long as it's legal!) if it results in solid income and you're happy with your results.

Back