Met Life Auto & Homes Vs. Nationwide

applepie44

I'm thinking about Met Life and Nationwide. Any new agents within the last 2 years with either of these companies please join in and tell me about the training programs, compensation structures, and how you feel about your company. Thank you for your help.

I'm thinking about Met Life and Nationwide. Any new agents within the last 2 years with either of these companies please join in and tell me about the training programs, compensation structures, and how you feel about your company. Thank you for your help.

What state are you in? Do you want to focus primarily on P&C or L&H?

Metlife, in NC, is vastly noncompetitive in about 99% of the clients I see for P&C. However, they do well on the life and LTC side in my state because people know the names and aren't price mongering like P&C does.

Nationwide is almost the exact opposite here in my state. They do well on the P&C but I replace the Nationwide policy 9 times out of 10. The other 1/10 is someone related to the Nationwide agent and doesn't want to deal with bickering.

What state are you in? Do you want to focus primarily on P&C or L&H?

Metlife, in NC, is vastly noncompetitive in about 99% of the clients I see for P&C. However, they do well on the life and LTC side in my state because people know the names and aren't price mongering like P&C does.

Nationwide is almost the exact opposite here in my state. They do well on the P&C but I replace the Nationwide policy 9 times out of 10. The other 1/10 is someone related to the Nationwide agent and doesn't want to deal with bickering.

May I ask why you say that Nationwide do well on P&C in your state yet you are able to replace Nationwide policies 9 times out of 10?
Also, would you happen to know the compensation structures for either company? Thanks.

May I ask why you say that Nationwide do well on P&C in your state yet you are able to replace Nationwide policies 9 times out of 10?
Also, would you happen to know the compensation structures for either company? Thanks.

I'm an independent so my pay structures are different. I see Nationwide on the side of the competition. On the term insurance I just have lower rates with some companies, and the same for the whole life. Everything I see on the WL thus far is just plain vanilla WL with higher rates despite being 2-3 years older. That says things to me there.

Metlife on the indy side pays like 15/14 commission I believe.

Why MetLife or Nationwide?

Nationwide has had a tough year with losses and I am guessing will have a rate increase. But they do advertise alot more than Met on the National Level!

MetLife for P & C only targets about 2% of the population. I know that from a meeting I had with some of the home office. That is all related to credit. There life products are behind the times. They discontinued there LTCI product.

Trying to understand where you are coming from.

Why MetLife or Nationwide?

Nationwide has had a tough year with losses and I am guessing will have a rate increase. But they do advertise alot more than Met on the National Level!

MetLife for P & C only targets about 2% of the population. I know that from a meeting I had with some of the home office. That is all related to credit. There life products are behind the times. They discontinued there LTCI product.

Trying to understand where you are coming from.

From what I hear, these 2 companies pay a salary while I try to build a book of business. They also provide an office and some staffing support so I'm not responsible for a lot of upfront costs like other captive agencies. But I'm open to hear about better opportunities that you'd suggest.

My advice would be to talk with local agents of both companies in your area. What are they doing to drum up business, what products are competitive, is there local claims adjusters, etc.

My advice would be to talk with local agents of both companies in your area. What are they doing to drum up business, what products are competitive, is there local claims adjusters, etc.

Do a search here on Metlife for the salary and everything. From what I recall, they do a salary AFTER you produce a bit to help get you trained, and the salary depends on the amount of production you did in a certain window. I would assume Nationwide does something similar as well, if anything.

Are you getting the direct appointment or are you talking about offers from SPECIFIC Nationwide/Metlife agencies?

Going captive isn't a bad way to learn. That's how I started, at Allstate. However, you will want to be independent at some point with having 1-2 captive friends at different agencies, possibly. The commission amount will be more and you will be able to write more people, too.

I would just recommend working a part-time job while you are learning and make that your salary. Go work for who you want to work for and learn this right rather than whomever will pay you something- it will hinder you in the long run. How much were you expecting to make at Nationwide and Metlife for the salary, anyway?

When you are talking about Metlife, please realize there are two completely separate sides of the company. And that doesn't even include their brokerage.

There is the career L&H and securities side. Then there is the P&C side. Both work differently. I was also told by a former Met P&C, they have very limited offerings from Metlife's life portfolio. They are primarily required to refer their clients to a career life guy for other offerings.

I've been talking to several agents from both companies. There are advantages and disadvantages with both. But the bottom line is I still want to go into this industry and I need to have a salary at the beginning. Can I ask if you are indy or are you also on the captive side?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
When you are talking about Metlife, please realize there are two completely separate sides of the company. And that doesn't even include their brokerage.

There is the career L&H and securities side. Then there is the P&C side. Both work differently. I was also told by a former Met P&C, they have very limited offerings from Metlife's life portfolio. They are primarily required to refer their clients to a career life guy for other offerings.

Yes, I realize that there are Metlife P&C, Metlife Life and securities (Financial Rep. as they call the position), and there is also Metlife for the indy side. Have you worked with Metlife before? If so, please tell me more about the salary and commission structure for Metlife P&C and Metlife Financial reps.
I've read all of the threads I could find here about them but most were old threads and there could always be new programs or contracts out there. Thanks.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What part of AZ are you from? Are you captive or indy?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back