MetLife a Good Auto Insurance Company?

insurehound

Guru
100+ Post Club
Escondido
I posted this in the auto insurance forum and only got one reply so I'm posting it here. I have a chance to switch to MetLife and save some money on my car insurance - a close friend who is a P&C agent shopped it out for me.

I would be moving from Mercury and my girlfriend (my buddy also shopped out her insurance) would be moving from USAA. I have no issues moving from Mercury but I am concerned about moving my girlfriend from USAA as I know everyone loves them. But MetLife beat her current rate and provided better coverage.

Any thoughts on MetLife? I know them from the Life side but know nothing about their P&C.

Thanks!

Metlife is very hot in CA... they are very new to the state and are priced well under the market and I suspect they will have to adjust at some point. They are almost too cheap... It is not uncommon for them to be $600-800 per year cheaper than the rest of my carriers (Mercury, Travelers, CIG, etc) on a clean 2/3 car household.

Yes, we recently have entered back into the state. Captive agency no; appointments yes. As long as IA's roll, or sell a ton of new buz... rate heat-up will occur. However, at the current pricing (rate filing), Met will remain extremely competitive on auto for quite a few years. One thing that may eventually come to CA would be Met's uncapped building replacement coverage (Coverage A Plus). That would justify a much higher rate for many in the state for home (Chubb'ish) (while rating much lower in cost that all competitors for auto).

Back