MetLife a Good Auto Insurance Company?

Discussion in 'General Insurance Agent Discussions' started by insurehound, Oct 7, 2010.

1. insurehound

insurehound Guru

State:
    California
    I posted this in the auto insurance forum and only got one reply so I'm posting it here. I have a chance to switch to MetLife and save some money on my car insurance - a close friend who is a P&C agent shopped it out for me.

I would be moving from Mercury and my girlfriend (my buddy also shopped out her insurance) would be moving from USAA. I have no issues moving from Mercury but I am concerned about moving my girlfriend from USAA as I know everyone loves them. But MetLife beat her current rate and provided better coverage.

Any thoughts on MetLife? I know them from the Life side but know nothing about their P&C.

Thanks!

2. saieddie

saieddie Guru

State:
    Virginia
    I've never heard of Metlife beating USAA, in Virginia anyway. They're customer service and claims are as good as most of the companies i've worked with.

3. insurehound

insurehound Guru

State:
    California
    Wasn't even close...believe me, USAA was just as surprised. We're in California.

4. Bertolinoins

Bertolinoins Guru

Metlife is very hot in CA... they are very new to the state and are priced well under the market and I suspect they will have to adjust at some point. They are almost too cheap... It is not uncommon for them to be $600-800 per year cheaper than the rest of my carriers (Mercury, Travelers, CIG, etc) on a clean 2/3 car household.

5. GreenSky

GreenSky Guru

State:
    Nevada
    What's a 2/3 car? Motorcycle with a side car?

Rick

6. WaPnCpRo

WaPnCpRo New Member

State:
    Washington
    Yes, we recently have entered back into the state. Captive agency no; appointments yes. As long as IA's roll, or sell a ton of new buz... rate heat-up will occur. However, at the current pricing (rate filing), Met will remain extremely competitive on auto for quite a few years. One thing that may eventually come to CA would be Met's uncapped building replacement coverage (Coverage A Plus). That would justify a much higher rate for many in the state for home (Chubb'ish) (while rating much lower in cost that all competitors for auto).

7. Bertolinoins

Bertolinoins Guru

2 or 3 car household.

8. GreenSky

GreenSky Guru

State:
    Nevada
    Thanks. I've been tormented with this question since I posted it 7 months ago.

Rick