Metlife Internal Sales Associate question?

JimYoung

Expert
So I'm applying for this position at Metlife called "Internal Sales Associate" the Job Summary states:

Job Summary: Provides internal wholesaling and marketing services for individual insurance products to specified accounts or territories. Drives product sales by working in coordination with external wholesalers to maximize customer service and relationships. Functional Responsibilities: Services the requirements of smaller accounts or territories. May service captive agents, broker/dealers, brokerage firms, financial planners, banks, consultants, and/or independent agents. Partners with external wholesalers to create and strengthen sales activity. Assists in executing sales call campaigns. Identifies client needs and suggests product offerings and marketing strategies. Helps provide basic sales and marketing ideas, trends, opportunities, and leads.

I just wanted to know underneath all the gibberish, what will I really be doing in the position? (I will ask the recruiter too, but I would prefer to know to prep for the interview). How should I prep for the interview in this position AND are there any basic websites/books I should be reading up on beginners insurance. Thank you!

Looks like you are looking to be a liaison between Met and the various GAs out there... Crump, CPS, LifePro, etc. I assume your basic job will be to explain to these wholesalers how great Met plans are so that they will recommend them to the retailers... people like me... independent agents.

A lot of agents will ask their GA to recommend a carrier for a client given a certain set of circumstances. For example last week I asked my GA to help me find a carrier who will take someone who is bi-polar but stable on meds. Anna knows some of the underwriters of the carriers she represents and can shop the case faster and easier than I can.

It's the GAs responsibility to know a lot of detail of a lot of plans. As I see the current distribution system, it is our job to find and qualify clients and fact-find and present. The GAs assist in selecting carriers to present (and order parameds and shepherd the case... freeing up the agent to have more time to prospect and sell.... at least that's how it works for me.) The carrier reps 'teach' the GA people about what is 'new' and how their UW is in any given "cycle" (and I find that UW is somewhat cyclical.) I think that is what this job you are seeking is all about.

Even though Met has a large captive sales force, the company still works with most of the (larger) GAs so that indie agents can sell their products. I think all the captive companies work with GAs now, but don't quote me on that. (It's hard to sell Met on price, but easy to sell it on 'name'.... everyone has seen Snoopy!)

Al

So I'm applying for this position at Metlife called "Internal Sales Associate" the Job Summary states:

Job Summary: Provides internal wholesaling and marketing services for individual insurance products to specified accounts or territories. Drives product sales by working in coordination with external wholesalers to maximize customer service and relationships. Functional Responsibilities: Services the requirements of smaller accounts or territories. May service captive agents, broker/dealers, brokerage firms, financial planners, banks, consultants, and/or independent agents. Partners with external wholesalers to create and strengthen sales activity. Assists in executing sales call campaigns. Identifies client needs and suggests product offerings and marketing strategies. Helps provide basic sales and marketing ideas, trends, opportunities, and leads.

I just wanted to know underneath all the gibberish, what will I really be doing in the position? (I will ask the recruiter too, but I would prefer to know to prep for the interview). How should I prep for the interview in this position AND are there any basic websites/books I should be reading up on beginners insurance. Thank you!

Sounds like a perfect position for a New Agent! I wouldn't even know where to begin?

Looks like you are looking to be a liaison between Met and the various GAs out there... Crump, CPS, LifePro, etc. I assume your basic job will be to explain to these wholesalers how great Met plans are so that they will recommend them to the retailers... people like me... independent agents.

A lot of agents will ask their GA to recommend a carrier for a client given a certain set of circumstances. For example last week I asked my GA to help me find a carrier who will take someone who is bi-polar but stable on meds. Anna knows some of the underwriters of the carriers she represents and can shop the case faster and easier than I can.

It's the GAs responsibility to know a lot of detail of a lot of plans. As I see the current distribution system, it is our job to find and qualify clients and fact-find and present. The GAs assist in selecting carriers to present (and order parameds and shepherd the case... freeing up the agent to have more time to prospect and sell.... at least that's how it works for me.) The carrier reps 'teach' the GA people about what is 'new' and how their UW is in any given "cycle" (and I find that UW is somewhat cyclical.) I think that is what this job you are seeking is all about.

Even though Met has a large captive sales force, the company still works with most of the (larger) GAs so that indie agents can sell their products. I think all the captive companies work with GAs now, but don't quote me on that. (It's hard to sell Met on price, but easy to sell it on 'name'.... everyone has seen Snoopy!)

Al

Sorry for the newb question, but what is a GA (general agent?) and how does it differ from indie firms. What is a large captive sales force? Sorry I'm a recent college graduate that has been focusing on the securities industry for the past 4 years, but is thinking about starting off as insurance. Everyone's patience and time is much appreciated.

Back