MIB has gone real time?

K-Dub

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Colorado
Interesting little tid-bit here. I just applied myself and my wife on an individual plan with a certain carrier here in Colorado. They called me to conduct a telephone interview where they asked me if I had been to a doctor in the past two years. I said yes, last September I was in because of a sore throat. She asked me who I saw and what Rx drug I was prescribed. I told her I do not remember the doctor I saw and don't know the name of the drug, I told her it was some antibiotic. She then said, well you signed the medical release form, would you like me to check for you? HUH? I said sure!

Within 5 seconds she rattled off the doctor, address, drug prescribed and dosage! I was amazed!

I'm assuming she used the MIB to get this info, unless there is another company out there. Are all insurance companies now able to get this info real time? I thought that only the major stuff is logged in the MIB.

Anyone have the low down on this?

Interesting little tid-bit here. I just applied myself and my wife on an individual plan with a certain carrier here in Colorado. They called me to conduct a telephone interview where they asked me if I had been to a doctor in the past two years. I said yes, last September I was in because of a sore throat. She asked me who I saw and what Rx drug I was prescribed. I told her I do not remember the doctor I saw and don't know the name of the drug, I told her it was some antibiotic. She then said, well you signed the medical release form, would you like me to check for you? HUH? I said sure!

Within 5 seconds she rattled off the doctor, address, drug prescribed and dosage! I was amazed!

I'm assuming she used the MIB to get this info, unless there is another company out there. Are all insurance companies now able to get this info real time? I thought that only the major stuff is logged in the MIB.

Anyone have the low down on this?

This is a new one. Did you ask the rep how they were able to access the information so quickly?

No, I was just so baffled I forgot to! LOL! I didn't ask, I will call the carrier and try to get info on this. Maybe it's just carrier specific.

I know that some med supp companies can check and see what Rx you are taking on a Rx national website. Maybe it also tells what doctor prescribed it to you. SO maybe thats what they did instead of an MIB?

MIB has been doing this for a while. When some of the life companies started offering "instant issue" life they used a quick check at MIB. As I understand, the report is not as detailed as the regular report. It mainly flags the big stuff but that may not be accurate.

I believe some of the STM carriers are doing likewise.

Insurance companies can also run a pharmacy search. Obviously they have access to a database to find out who's been on what meds. This is nothing to do with the MIB. I recently had a case where the client had to call in about his son which surprised me since the son was 4 and didn't have any medical conditions. Turns out Assurant knew he was issued a certain med about 2 years ago and they just wanted to know the outcome. Almost scary but glad the companies are checking.

Back