Military Life Serving 6 Months Only?

I have never seen anything relating to insurance on the bottom of a DD-214.

I am wondering about the fact he calls it a discharge "Card".. Never heard anyone call a DD214 a card. Maybe it is a VA card and he is retired on service connected disability? Why else would he have served only 6 months?

I was just thinking about that card today.

I saw a note in the DAV store that said veterans could have a discount with ID and I was wondering how I could get a picture ID from the VA.

Thinking back, I believe I got some kind of ID card at discharge-all I can remember is it was green and had a photo on it.

It seems like it had something to do with reserves-I think after you did your 4 of active duty they put you in some type of reserve status for an additional 2 years-and I think the card was related to that.

----------

I am wondering about the fact he calls it a discharge "Card".. Never heard anyone call a DD214 a card. Maybe it is a VA card and he is retired on service connected disability? Why else would he have served only 6 months?

Did the army have a 2 year program where you went active for 6 months and then did the other 18 in the reserves?

I was just thinking about that card today.

I saw a note in the DAV store that said veterans could have a discount with ID and I was wondering how I could get a picture ID from the VA.

Thinking back, I believe I got some kind of ID card at discharge-all I can remember is it was green and had a photo on it.

It seems like it had something to do with reserves-I think after you did your 4 of active duty they put you in some type of reserve status for an additional 2 years-and I think the card was related to that.

----------

Did the army have a 2 year program where you went active for 6 months and then did the other 18 in the reserves?

You still "serve" 2 years even though a portion might not be active duty. Have never heard a guardsmen or reservist claiming to have served only for the amount of time they were on active duty.

I've seen this quite a bit. The ones I saw qualify for a $10,000 group term policy where the premiums are waived...here's the catch though...they have to enroll within 1 year of their discharge otherwise it won't become active. They have the option to increase that face depending on their age, and they have to pay more for it. But it decreases with age and bottoms out at $10k. I've seen it 4-5 times.

Also, all veterans (honorable discharge) are entitled to be "interned" at a VA National Cemetery including the spouse but spouse has to pay a few hundred bucks (forget the amount but it's still a bargain). This includes a plot or columbarium niche. Go to the VA website and look it up.

Back