Misinformation?

jacodaro

Expert
Arizona
I am associated with an MGA that has a life and health side. The life side is, you guessed right, non-med mortgage life using Americo. I am associated with the health side. Some agents have been there up to 9 years and are pulling down serious loot. The flavor of the day is Assurant and World. When I went through their product/sales training the manager, with 20 years in the business, stated that BCBS (whom they probably don't use due to the commission/advance structure) can, at will, both raise rates and cancel a policy on an individual basis due to usage. I afterwards informed the manager that was not correct. He thanked me. Well, they hired a few new agents and sure enough one told me wow, did you know that BCBS can do this and that. The same wrong information! I kept quiet. They train agents to replace BCBS using that info.
This type of situation wrecks my head and diminishes my enthusiasm for this business. By the way, I'm in Arizona.

You know you're gonna have all kinds of unsavory types in this business. You have a choice. Either stay with them and take advantage of any support they give, such as free leads, or whatever they are offering, but make sure when you are in front of a client YOU tell the the TRUTH. Do right by them. Don't use their tactics. The downside to that is that if you say I work for such and such and they have a bad rep, that doesn't look good on you whether you personally do the right thing or not. Other choice???!?!?........ leave. Find a better fit from yourself. I would do the latter.

f2c

You walk up to your manager's face and say "if I ever hear you tell another new agent that Blue Cross will cancel clients due to claims I'll write a letter to the the DOI, Assurant and World and the first one to fire you wins. That's unethical bullcrap and has no place in this business. Agents looking the other way just allows the fire to grow. And I'm not just talking s**t - I went to the Maryland Insurance Administration and had a 6 hour meeting over the practices of Mega Life.

Why fire a warning shot? Jacodaro has already given the manager a heads up that what is going on is crap. Go ahead & report them to the AZ DOI.

You can also anonomously report him and trust me, the DOI will indeed fire off a letter to your manager. Just receiving the letter will be enough to rattle him so bad that he'll immediately stop spreading the lies.

You can also fire off an anonomous letter or email (get a Hotmail account) and let your manager know what your intentions are. You can also let him know you plan on contacting Blue Cross and if they catch wind of what he's saying he could be looking at a serious lawsuit.

and be prepared to go work somewhere else.....the will figure it out...

LOL! That is ethical training compared to what I received when I worked for NASE. Now, there are better, more ethical trainers at NASE than the one I was with, but it seems like they're the exception. I was told to tell people that John Alden had no on-the-job coverage for self-employed, which I assume is not true. I was also trained to tell people that Time (now Assurant) offered no coverage on weekends, that if you went to the ER on a Sunday afternoon you'll claim would be denied entirely.

and be prepared to go work somewhere else.....the will figure it out...

Yep. I could have reported my NYL recruiting manager for some lies about the details of the contract and other things, including encouraging a forgery. However, he would have denied it. Even though the Managing Senior Partner might well have believed me, he wouldn't have been able to do anything. The only person that ultimately would have suffered would have been me.

Not true. A formal DOI complaint, even if no action is taken, would put him on the DOI radar screen. Then if another similar complaint comes in the DOI can say "I think we're starting to see a pattern." In fact, the reason unethical outfits continue to operate is because no one reports them.

Back