MJ

Missed "seeing" you around. Good to know you are alive and well.

Aetna - Has the applicant ever used . . . marijuana

Blue - Mute on marijuana but does say "had medical advice, treatment or KNOWN INDICATIONS of health problems . . ."

Coventry - Mute on marijuana but does say "had any signs or symptoms that would cause an ordinary, prudent person to seek advice, treatment or therapy . . ."

GR - In the last 5 years had any treatment, diagnosis, INDICATION . . . of an alcohol or drug dependency problem

Humana - In the last 5 years used marijuana

KP - In the last 5 years used illegal drugs not prescribed by a physician.

Time - Used sedatives . . . cocaine or other hallucinogenic drugs

I suppose one could take the view that Cannabis is not a hallucinogenic drug, but rather a psychoactive drug.

That seems to be splitting hairs.

I could also put him with BX and hope he doesn't go in for treatment any time soon. Of course, if he did the care would be denied as pre-ex.

Same with Covenant and any other carrier.

His mom approched me about finding coverage in hopes of putting him in a 30 day inpatient program. I have already told her it probably wont fly but promised to see what might happen.

Can he get by without the carrier knowing?

Probably.

At least until he goes in for treatment.

Catch 22.

In NC, due to "decriminalization", if a mary jane user qualifies for "oral fluid only", it will come back "tobacco". :wacko:

At this point I am leaning toward BX and telling his mom to refrain from filing a claim for treatment. If she pays cash it will not show up on MIB and Blue wont have a reason to rescind coverage.

I need to sleep on this before moving forward.

I would leave it alone. Big problem for you either from the family or insurance carrier. If the kid's bad enough to go to rehab, he probably has a record that will pop up when billing starts. They'll cancel, she'll sue you. Depending on how well you know the family and what's going on, the carrier will cancel you too.

Sometimes, the smartest thing you can say is "I'm sorry, I can't find anything."

Mom needs to pay for treatment herself, not purchase insurance to cover while he's there and then drop it. This is no different then the pregnant kids wanting coverage for when the baby comes.

I too agree that it's not worth writing this one from the information you gave. Too little upside and way too much downside risk.

Mom needs to pay for treatment herself, not purchase insurance to cover while he's there and then drop it.

Of course once he goes in for rehab he is an auto decline for the next 5 years.

Catch 22 again.

humana seems desperate....have you asked them......

Many times I have done pre-screens with Humamna and they say "hey, sounds ok to me send just go ahead and send it in! And then whammo, decline!

It's at the point now where I just look in their underwriting guide instead of calling them. No small wonder why you have to listen to a disclaimer about pre-screens before they can say anything to you........

"Catch 22 again."

Not really, unless you are a UHC guy. Simply the problem is solved if they have coverage before the need. Like everybody else. Would you feel the same way "if" you didn't know them and it was some teen who got pregnant and now wanted coverage? Or some old guy who has waited until his health was soo bad that he needs coverage right now, yet didn't do it when he was healthy...

You can't save em all or from themselves....

It's not a catch 22 it's how it works. The only way to ensure there is no "catch" is to require everyone to own health insurance from birth on...
Guess the only way that's gonna happen....

Back