MJ

Many times I have done pre-screens with Humamna and they say "hey, sounds ok to me send just go ahead and send it in! And then whammo, decline!

I have never had a problem with Humana, Aetna, or any other carrier on prescreens. In many cases, especially with Aetna, the final offer is the same or better than prescreen.

Of course you have to give them good data to work with.

GIGO.

Hi Bob,
Its sort of understood among pot smokers not to admit they do it. If someone is going to admit it then they won't get approved by anyone. If the government calms down on their laws and decriminalizes MJ on a wide scale then carriers will likely follow suit and use tobacco ratings.

As it turns out, his mom (who originally contacted me) finally told me he has already had outpt counseling but it didn't "take". She was looking for someone (can you say carrier?) to pick up the cost of a 30 day inpatient stay.

Seems she shelled out $60k for his brother to go thru the program and was looking for a carrier to pay at least a portion of the bill for him.

Of course the counseling is a deal killer.

Just wish she had admitted that from the start.

Hi Bob,
Its sort of understood among pot smokers not to admit they do it. If someone is going to admit it then they won't get approved by anyone. If the government calms down on their laws and decriminalizes MJ on a wide scale then carriers will likely follow suit and use tobacco ratings.

Jesse,

Great to hear from you. I was going to ask "where you been", but since you jumped into this thread I'm not sure I want to know...

As it turns out, his mom (who originally contacted me) finally told me he has already had outpt counseling but it didn't "take". She was looking for someone (can you say carrier?) to pick up the cost of a 30 day inpatient stay.

Seems she shelled out $60k for his brother to go thru the program and was looking for a carrier to pay at least a portion of the bill for him.

Of course the counseling is a deal killer.

Just wish she had admitted that from the start.

How 'bout when it's in underwriting and the mother calls to ask about the benefits for counseling for behavioral problems. I ask "what problems???" She says "well my son's been having problems in school and we want to take him to see a doctor to see if he has any learning disabilities. So how does that benefit work?"

insurable if admits to having used it in the past

Depends on the carrier.

Humana asks if you have used in the past 5 yrs. Others dont put a time limit.

Smoke, but didn't inhale.

It depends on what the definition of didn't, is . . .

Last edited:
Back