MM, Ohio National, Penn

insurancemet

Guru
100+ Post Club
In regards to cash value, considering that it was rated the same for all, which one do you think would give more returns for the cost.

Also, does anyone know if a broker with Mass can do a joint work with someone that has a career contract?

Anyone know who has the strictest writing?

This is my opinion on the three.
Penn wouldn't take me, ONL would but I didn't like their uw myths, and the ONL guy here in OHIO, just didn't seem great.
I like Mass Mutual alot. Great products, awesome investment strategy and capital ratios. A true par company.
As far as the commission split, why wouldn't that be allowed? But beware, I don't think captives are going to want to train their competitors.

You should be able to do splits with a career agent at Mass. I know of an agent that left the career system and does splits all the time with a career agent.

That said, their broker contract isn't going to pay you a whole lot. As I recall, they typically just put it all in the career guy's name to drive his contract and bonuses and split the cash later.

At empty eternity, can you share why Penn wouldn't take you.
At VolAgent . I remember seeing you post that MM cash value is more and less expensive than Ohio National. Do you think that will most likely always be the case. I just left MM due to personal issue and needing to take some time off for family but hoping to sell them again. They gave the impression that e and o would cost more as independent. Would it be wise to just go back as a career later. Or go independent with them?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I'm trying to see what life I can sell in replacement to them for now. Would Guardian be competitive? Would it be better than Ohio? I bring up Ohio because looks like commission is great and some said they had great products.

Last edited:
I don't recall saying that Ohio National beat MM on cash value. I had a MM agent run me a legacy 65 back in the winter and I compared it to the Prestige Max. More premium for the Max and thus more cash value, but you seemed to get more bang for your buck with the L65. It seemed that each dollar of premium produced more cash value than for the Max.

I like ONFS and MM, but ONFS is going to pay you a lot better for the same premium. Same with Guardian. Great company, but comp wise it doesn't make sense for the independent agent.

I get 45% for whole life, but they have great commission bonus programs.

There are much much better options out there. Why didn't penn take you?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
In regards to cash value, considering that it was rated the same for all, which one do you think would give more returns for the cost.

Also, does anyone know if a broker with Mass can do a joint work with someone that has a career contract?

Anyone know who has the strictest writing?

All three are fine choices and there is NO WAY in predicting which one will come out ahead in 30 years.

Last edited:
Penn in CA is only looking for large producers... $500k+ annual production.

I wonder how that working out for them:arghh:

Any regional that would turn down a COT producer because he's not at 500k should be fired.

I have been writing business in CA for 17 years. I have never seen a Penn policy of any kind. That tells me all I need to know about their operation in CA.

Back