Mobile Phone Tracker

The world is definitely scary. One kid that graduated from my kids' high school went off to college on an athletic scholarship (well, not really, I think it was a D3 school but you know what I mean) and didn't pledge a frat 1st semester, waited til 2nd. Beer bong + excessive drinking = he died. That, my friends, would not be prevented by a chip. I have had these discussions with my kids many a time, and yet I wonder what kind of discussions happened between this kid and his parents? Did they have them? I don't know. I do know how wild and crazy a kid gets when they go to college (I did!) and "make smart choices" just doesn't seem enough.

As far as the chip, it would really depend. I'm not against it, I don't care what the ACLU thinks. I haven't done it with my kid and don't plan to, but if other parents want to, that's just fine with me.

I know when our son was born they put an ankle bracelet on him that was electronic. I forgot how it worked but an alarm would go off at the nurses station if he either left the unit or the floor. Think we turned that down?

I now have this car mapping system which I'm sure means anyone could find out where I'm at. However the benefits outweigh the "but the gov't might be watching where I'm going" issue.

And if you all don't know it, all cars have a chip insurance companies can use in the case of a major accident to determine all kinds of information such as how fast you were going and when brakes were applied.

Did you agree when you bought your car that a chip would be there to monitor your driving?

Last edited:
The difference between a car or a cell phone is that you can leave them behind. They are optional items. But a chip implanted on you your stuck with. It's a tough call on the chip and would really depend on what was available.

And yes a chip will not prevent all things. Only good parenting and teaching limits will do that . Before I left for college my mom gave me alcohol in my drink and I got tipsy. The lesson was to know when you have had to much, always take your own drink to a party, and NEVER accept a drink from someone else. When I left she gave me a travel mug that had my initials on it and told me to take it to every party with my favorite drink in it that way I would never drink to much or have something put in my drink.

They were talking about this with Alzheimer's patients. That way they could track them down if they wandered off.

With kids, I think I would if it was removable later in life. I would do the car thing to tell me where they are and how fast they were going...

True story...

My old boss used to work at a Chevy dealer. A customer came in with a new vette about the Check engine light being on. They scanned the car and the code for excessive speed was on (if you pass something like 150 mph it will kick the light on). He said that was impossible since he had been out of town and not driven the car. The customer called his son and asked him if he had driven the car while he was gone. My old boss overheard this "I will ask again and keep in mind I am at the dealership and they are plugged into the car and telling me a different story. Did you drive my car?"

They reset the code and he assured them at the dealership that he will take care of the cause of the light.

I had a neighbor who was in an assisted living facility. When I would visit I noticed that the "memory impaired" (Alzheimer's, dementia) residents wore electronic ankle bracelets so that if they attempted to leave the premises, an alarm would sound.

Don't worry guys - it's all coming. Started with red light cameras and now testing facial recognition software so when you go to that ballgame and you have a warrant - bam, you're arrested. Within 10 years everyone will be tracked the second they leave their house.

Cops are testing out a new scanner that's mounted on their car - as they patrol parking lots it scans all the tags and flags anything with a violation.

Speeding sensors have already been tested for years in select locations and within a few years if you speed anywhere you'll be mailed a ticket.

I'm wondering why the military and military contractors don't use these things? Go into a hot zone like Iraq, you get kidnapped or captured the military can go straight to you!

At a meeting the other night we discussed cameras at intersections. It only happened to me once, it was early in the game, and no ticket was issued. They're smarter now, a lady said it's 3 pictures - front, back, and driver (and passenger). Apparently there's a lot of Rickys out there who have had lots of 'splaining to do to their Lucys and the joke is 1 ticket 3 photos for a fine plus a divorce which will cost you big time!

If you have a 2004 or later car you likely have a ERD - Event Data Recorder. It tracks your speed, acceleration, braking, steering and seat belt use.

This VERY important to know if you're a speeder or don't wear your seatbelt. Insurance companies are using the information collected after an accident to ascertain fault and the findings can be used in a civil suit.

So you cause that accident going 70 in a 55 and claim you were going the speed limit? Those days are over.

Then what's the point of a radar detector or following you for 1/4 mile if you're a cop? Seems like while trolling through the parking lot scanning for violations, they could just issue tickets based on the ERD information. Maybe now it's only "uploadable" upon an event but it would seem live action would be in the works.

Back