Modifying Household Size

Nov 13, 2015

1. kstein

kstein Guru

Is it kosher to not take the child deduction on 2 kids who don't live at home, are in college, and have substantial income, leaving the single parent to qualify for a subsidy? Anyone come across a situation like this?

Would they still be considered a household of 3?

kstein, Nov 13, 2015
  2. MBSC

MBSC Expert

State:
    South Carolina
    If the children's employment provides for more than half of their support, they should not be claimed as a dependent. See IRS Publication 501 for more details.

For the ACA, they can remain on the parent's plan until age 26, making the household size 3 if they're on the plan but the income from all their tax returns is counted.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    MBSC, Nov 14, 2015
  3. kstein

kstein Guru

I see, thanks for the feedback, probably one of those cases to offer off exchange or walk away. Stinks bc the guy is in a tough situation, wife died early, left behind stock for kids which generates their income and the dad is really sick and uninsured.

kstein, Nov 14, 2015
  4. HammerTime

HammerTime Expert

State:
    Kentucky
    Depends on what "substantial" income means. The kid would likely qualify for a subsidy on their own if it's that substantial.

5. kstein

kstein Guru

Not a ton, maybe 60k per kid. I think the issue is that the kids don't associate w the dad a ton or the dad is estranged from wife's family. Not too sure

kstein, Nov 14, 2015
  6. HammerTime

HammerTime Expert

State:
    Kentucky
    60K per year per Kid? No one is going to qualify for a subsidy in that case. Off exchange. As far as the dad still claiming the kids, I think that would be a better question for an accountant.