Mortgage Protection Leads / Flyers

Michael Johnson

I'm a relatively new life agent, long-time real estate broker in Maryland. I naturally have access to recent sales, recordation of the data in my area takes a good month or two before showing publicly. Has anyone had success with their own mailings or flyers to new homeowners for leads? Thanks for your insight.

I use to do my own mailings. Would stuff the envelopes with a postcard every Monday morning. Then, I bought a used machine to do it (although it malfunctioned 80% of the time).

Finally, I gave up. Went to my local post office and talked to the lady in charge of bulk mail. She gave me 3 referrals to have the mailings done for me.

Turns out having the mailings done for me was cheaper than doing it myself. The printer was buying supplies in bulk so his cost was less than mine.

I think you could do well, especially if you can get to them before most other brokers. I'd test a three contact campaign to a few hundred people. Two letters and a post card. (L - P - L).

I've always been a "do it yourself" kind of guy even when I knew much less about marketing.

I buy mailing lists from listshackpro.com using the criteria that makes sense to me.

I use a freelance graphic artist who creates nice looking mailing pieces out of my ugly markups and my copy.

I'm not a fan of branding for the sake of branding, but I do like to have a consistent look and feel for all my marketing and most prospects require more than one touch to move them to the next step in the funnel. That's one reason I prefer to have my own creatives.

I'm a "do it yourself" kind of guy but...

There is no upside to stuffing your own envelopes when machines can do it so cheaply and so much better.

It's like walking to all your sales appointments to save on gas. Yeah, it's cheaper. But...

Thanks guys- I agree with all of you. Yes, its cheaper to let someone do it in bulk. But if I can target a certain segment and area, I'd love to run my appts nearby instead of scattered over a wide area like I am now. Thanks for the input!

Just a quick follow up on this. I mailed 4 zip codes real recent sales. Two mailers for each recent purchase and not a single lead. I stopped by some of the homes with a postcard in two of the zip codes as well. I scratched the itch and found out for myself to leave the lead gen to the lead gen people. I'll stick to sales.

Back